Single Tank Adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaymal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I suppose this question deserves an obvious answer but what is the Single Tank Adapter for exactly? I know it bolts onto a plate and stabilizes the tank. I assume then the cam straps loop through the STA. This does not appear to be completely necessary as there are a couple of BP/Wing configurations that do not require an STA. Namely configurations from DSS and Oxycheq.

What are the advantages of using an STA? What are the cons?

What are the advantages of not using an STA? What are the cons?

Thanks!

In my opinion, if you don't need the extra weight, get a wing that stabilizes the tank like a Deep Sea Supply, it keeps the tank closer to the backplate. I use an STA up in Canada because the extra weight takes lbs off my belt.
Mike

You've answered your own question. Some backplates or wings are designed to eliminate the requirement for a single tank adapter (STA).

For the most part, if the channel / ridge of the back plate is wide enough, it will give enough spacing, if the tank strap is securely tightened, to eliminate any movement of a single tank.

But the width of the channel is predicated upon the angle at which the wings of the backplate are bent and so on and so on . . .

A very simple means of constructing an ersatz STA is by using a couple of pieces of 1/2 inch stainless steel rod placed on each side of the the tank inside the tank straps.

But that's just a quick time fix.

There are back plates to be had that are designed specifically for single tanks.

the K

All the answers given so far are spot on.

I tried my Oxycheq Mach V with an STA and didn't like it. Tried without and STA and works like a charm, tank is rock solid. See, the Mach V has stabiliser bars in the middle section of the wing which act as excellent STA replacements. I believe the DSS wings and plates have these features also.

Personally, if you are going to get the latest Oxycheq or DSS wings, no need for an STA unless you need it for some special purpose.

Thanks everyone!

Setting the weight issue aside the only reason to get an STA is ????? In case you want to dive doubles down the road?

Thanks everyone!

Setting the weight issue aside the only reason to get an STA is ????? In case you want to dive doubles down the road?

No, the reason you NEED an STA is if your BP is not designed to take single tanks.

Some BP's don't have slots cut into them to take the cam straps for single tanks. If you want to use a single tank with this type of BP you NEED an STA. The STA bolts onto the BP via the (usually) 11" centred bolt holes for doubles. The cam straps for the single tank then go through the slots in the STA.

Some BP's have slots cut into the BP. The cam straps for the single tank go through these slots eliminating the NEED for an STA.

Other than bolting the STA onto the BP via the doubles bolt holes an STA has nothing to do with using doubles.

To expand upon what Kern said, you may also need an STA if your wing does not have tank camband slots. I have a Halcyon Eclipse 30 wing which lacks camband slots...so I have to use an STA when diving a one-tank setup.

If you're purchasing your BPW setup as a unit, I would recommend Deep Sea Supply for some of the reasons already mentioned. In addition to having an elastomeric tank cradle built into the wing (which makes it very stable), the DSS system breaks down very easily for post-dive clean up.

As others have alluded, your decision may be influenced by how much non-ditchable weight you would want. For my weight configuration, I like having the flexibility of putting a few extra pounds near my spine in the form of a weighted STA...but then again I do a lot of drysuit diving here in Southern California. Morro Bay is "cold" water country. If you're diving in a drysuit, an STA is a nice option for distributing your weight.

Good luck with your next scuba purchase...

Another reason for a STA is to gain some additional flexibility in the positioning of the tank in relationship to the wing in relationship to the backplate. This can help a lot in trim issues. Without a STA, I couldn't get trimmed without added weights. With the STA, I can use no added weights.

I'm using the lightweight Oxycheq 2 piece STA along with the Mach V wing on a SS BP. With a 3mil or less wetsuit, I need no added weights...and my trim is easily adjustable via shifting the tank up or down an inch or two. However, it's about 3 inches higher than it would go without the STA(I'm tall and need the valve and 1st stage higher than normal to off-set my long legs)...this lets me have the wing lower in relationship to the tank and BP...

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom