Question on the 500 Lumen LED output curve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bogrady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking at taking the next step up on my light. I'm currently carrying the UK C8 eLED Plus which has a spec of 170 lumens and is a regulated light (the light output stays relativly contant and then drops at the end of baterry life). I like LED technology and want to stay with it.

I'm looking at the Dive Rite 500 Lumen and the new Hollis 3x3W LED Can light. The Hollis specs out to approximatly 375 Lumens, and according to Hollis, the design is such that it puts out a constant 375 over the life of the NiMH batttery.

I'm concerned about if the Dive Rite 500 is a true 500 lumens - regulated for a constant output, or if it would suffer from a degredation within a few hours of battery life. I've seen data on non regulated lights using alkaline batteries that have a 30% output drop in the first 2 hours - which would make this a 350 lumen light pretty quick.

Is there any data on the DR light - which LEDs does it use, and is it regulated - what does the output curve over battery life look like?

The Dive Rite 500 Lumen LED is 500 lumen measured at ten feet distance. It will be 500 lumen until the battery pack reaches approximately 10 volts. This light runs on a constant current until the battery pack can no longer deliver the needed power. At that point the light output will decrease; as opposed to going out. On a set of alkalines that point is roughly 12 hours.

Jerry

The Dive Rite 500 Lumen LED is 500 lumen measured at ten feet distance. It will be 500 lumen until the battery pack reaches approximately 10 volts. This light runs on a constant current until the battery pack can no longer deliver the needed power. At that point the light output will decrease; as opposed to going out. On a set of alkalines that point is roughly 12 hours.

Jerry

Jerry - Thanks for the info - the DR lights sounds almost too good to be true. I must have one.

LDS had me try one out on my last cave trip. Used it as primary for two cave dives. My dive buddy uses a DR fix head 10watt. Compared to his light, light ouput was about the same. The only noted difference was the LEDs beam was not as tight. I have to say that I was impressed with it but still prefer my 21watt. LED's are coming around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom