Panama City 3-01-08 (late trip report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PatMyGreen

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
So I don't see any other threads about people actually going spearing and posting trip reports or offering any heads up on local conditions. I hope I am not upsetting guideline or rule in so doing. If there isn't such a rule am I the only one going spearing, or just the only one posting about it?

Chris, Ryan, Robb and I ran out to capitalize on 70 degree highs and wind under 5mph for some spearing. We Ran NW from the pass about 16 miles (about 3.5miles from shore) to some hard bottom numbers and to keep checking old coop numbers for survivors (no luck). Some of these hard bottom numbers were covered over a bit since the last time and had only 6" of relief, but we ran over a nice new ledge too, so it worked out. Vis was 25-30' further west dropping to 10' as we worked our way back towards the pass.

Dive one for me was alittle dissapointing, as we drop in I am scanning for fish and I see a nice gag only to look alittle further and see Robb completely lined up waiting for that perfect shot. He nails is and I go about exploring 4-6" limestone structures looking for lobster only to find a sheepshead. I haven't shot a sheepshead in quite some time and when its all I surfaced with it was noticed and pointed out by my friends. It was however pretty large at 20". To further add insult to injury my wireless computer lost sinc with the transmitter at some point on the boat and was therefore only a gauge all day, glad I know my EAD tables! There were many baby red and scamp grouper all over this area, which bodes well for 2-3 years from now.

Dive two was amazing afterbeing burned so bad on dive one. It was a 4' ledge completely undercut and in some parts at least 15' "deep" that I could see!! Awesome. Nailed a nice 15# gag with a perfect stone shot, got immediately cocky and scalped the next 15# gag and burned the whole rest of my dive trying to coerce him onto my stringer but the terrain was way against me and humbled, I had to surface with only the one fish while Robb brings up a gag and 3 nice mangoes, all three from the same shot, which given the 8# size of these guys is pretty freakin amazing. More baby reds were here as well, say 50 or so with some scamp and gag thrown in. Red snapper were abundant in the sand north of the ledge.

Dive three was on a well known ledge called Oleander which I hadn't been on in years. At a solid 2-3' high and forever long it is alway a fun dive. I managed another nice gag and scalped another, and to say I scalped it more of an exageration, it was more of an abrasion than anything else. with the lower vis on this spot I lost this one before he holed up but I have no doubt he will be fine. Ryan gets a gag and a nice mangrove and Chris finds a few more shovelnose lobster.

All day I think we had 6 gags, 5 mangroves, and 6 shovelnose. Water temp was a constant 59*

Attachments

• Chrislobster.JPG
    Chrislobster.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_4009rs.JPG
    DSC_4009rs.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_4012rs.JPG
    DSC_4012rs.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 84
  • PatGag.JPG
    PatGag.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Ryan blackgag.JPG
    Ryan blackgag.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 82
You're not breaking rules. . . just making us envious, as we watch the snow fall. You'll find more active messages if you search further back on the board to last summer. Good shooting, we all envy you and waiting till next summer when we can brag too.

Nice Catch! I'll be down in Marathon this weekend. I'm looking forward to getting my newest gun wet for the first time.

Also, do you know if it's illegal to pierce the shovelnose with your stringer? Usually we stuff them in our BC because we're unsure if they're protected - similar to spiny lobster - can't kill them until you're onshore... I know there is no season for them, but as for killing underwater, I'm unsure.

Nice Catch! I'll be down in Marathon this weekend. I'm looking forward to getting my newest gun wet for the first time.

Also, do you know if it's illegal to pierce the shovelnose with your stringer? Usually we stuff them in our BC because we're unsure if they're protected - similar to spiny lobster - can't kill them until you're onshore... I know there is no season for them, but as for killing underwater, I'm unsure.

In Florida its illegal to spear (pierce) any lobster, even with a stringer.

Why the heck are you taking something if you are "unsure" it is protected?

So jealous of your trip...sounds like a blast, though that is the second unreliable wireless i have heard of this week...something to be said for KISS...I am still on a hose though with nitrox my comp is a bit more complicated.

I just got back from cozumel where I really wished I could use a gun on the many tasty things swimming in the water, but since it was a protected area and all there was no killing (or eating sadly).

In the summer I hunt the rigs in the Gulf of Mexico off the Texas coast, promise to post as soon as I get to shoot something ;-)...in the mean time all of you who get to, keep the hunting stories coming.

In Florida its illegal to spear (pierce) any lobster, even with a stringer.

This is a popular misconception, and it has been rehashed many times. Shovelnose and slipper lobster have no protection other than not taking them while bearing eggs, which is a no brainer anyway. Further the poster stated that the uncertainty was whether or not they were allowed to be killed, not whether they could be taken at all.

The only reg that governs them is as follows:
68B-24.008 Slipper Lobster; Prohibitions Relating to Eggbearing Slipper Lobster.
The harvest or possession of eggbearing slipper lobster is prohibited eggbearing slipper lobster found in traps shall be immediately returned to the water free, alive, and unharmed. The practice of stripping or otherwise molesting eggbearing slipper lobster in order to remove the eggs is prohibited and the possession of slipper lobster tails from which eggs, swimmerettes, or pleopods have been removed or stripped is prohibited.
Specific Authority Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. Law Implemented Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. History–New 7-2-87, Amended 7-2-90, Formerly 46-24.008.

Also you do not need a crawfish permit to harvest shovelnose, that is also a "spiny only reg" for Florida.

Dude, I've seen some foolish posts, but this one takes the cake:

This is a popular misconception, and it has been rehashed many times. Shovelnose and slipper lobster have no protection other than not taking them while bearing eggs, which is a no brainer anyway.

Yes they do. Both species are protected federally by the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council (management of America's fisheries from 3 to 200 miles off the coasts of NC, SC, GA, and FL).

FEDERAL law, not Florida law, clearly dictates
"No taking of berried spiny or berried slipper lobsters. No spears, hooks, or piercing devices. Explosives and Chemicals prohibited."

Further the poster stated that the uncertainty was whether or not they were allowed to be killed, not whether they could be taken at all.

Wrong again. The poster was very clear when he presented the question "Also, do you know if it's illegal to pierce the shovelnose with your stringer?" The answer was a clear "NO!!!" until you attempted to convolute a delusional interpretation of a simple Florida Statute.

The only reg that governs them is as follows: 68B-24.008 Slipper Lobster; Prohibitions Relating to Eggbearing Slipper Lobster.

There are many more regulations that govern them, this is only one- Florida 64B-24.008. There are Federal Regulations too.

Also you do not need a crawfish permit to harvest shovelnose, that is also a "spiny only reg" for Florida.

Hey, at least you have this part right!!

Hey, at least you have this part right!!
Not to be a jerk about it but Panama City, Florida is on the Gulf Coast of Florida not the Atlantic, and as such only the Gulf Council's regs would apply (not SAFMC) but thats only if I was in Federal waters at the time, which I wasn't. So only Florida regs apply and the one I posted is the only Florida reg that applies to recreational harvest of shovelnose or slipper lobster.

Another popular misconception is that "Federal Law" as it is called trumps state laws. If it were an act of congress in question this would be so but we are talking about regulations created by a federal bureaucracy (NMFS) which is really administrative code. States rights are sovereign in their territorial waters which in the gulf is 9 nautical miles from the nearest point of land. See again only Florida regs apply in Florida waters.

I guess I should have been alittle more specific since someone else asked a question that was broad in nature, but I was in particular thinking of my trip and my little part of the world (GoM).

Back
Top Bottom