Need Gun Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi-

I'd like to spear in freshwater for carp, cats and walleye in shallow water-under 30-40' with visibility around 10-20 feet. Here I can't free shaft. Once in a while, I'd like to spear on the shallow reefs of the Keys for smaller fish under 20 lbs. Which gun and length would you recommend? I've been looking at the Omer Cayman and also the Biller in Mahogany and the Biller in Stainless Steel. Thanks for any insight you can give me. I have never shot a speargun in my life but don't want to have to buy two because I made a mistake in selection the first time. Thanks!!

In Nebraska we use short pneumatic guns, easy to load for multiple shots, short for close vis. I don't know how they do in salt.

enjoy the sport Walt

From what I've read in the past I'd say you are looking at 2 different forms of fishing requiring 2 different spearguns. Short for the low viz freshwater to longer for the high viz salt water. Or something in the 40's to 50's for reefs and low viz. But if you are out in the reefs and your shot is long you will have to realize your limitations.

1) How much faster is the pneumatic to reload than a single band?
2) What length is best in water 10-30" vis?
3) Is it true that pneumatic guns break and hard to get fixed?
Thanks again from a guy short on experience and knowledge!

1) How much faster is the pneumatic to reload than a single band?
2) What length is best in water 10-30" vis?
3) Is it true that pneumatic guns break and hard to get fixed?
Thanks again from a guy short on experience and knowledge!

1) Line up the shaft down the barrel and push. . . or line up the shaft, slide into position and lock, stretch the rubber band to notch on spear, repeat for each band to reach the power you need for the shot, now you're ready for a second shot. If you are shooting a lot of fish each dive, like freshwater carp shooting, the pneumatic is the fastest reload. . . If you are going to shoot once or twice in a dive, the rubber band driven gun is cheaper and requires less maintainence, and replacement parts are easier to come by.
2) A JBL 38 special, about 38" will be fine for 10 foot shots, and will be wishful thinking at 30 feet. . . because of accuracy and power falling off at a 30 foot range. For that distance you'll need a long and powerful gun to shoot fish at that range.
3) Pneumatic guns are pretty simple to work on IF you can get parts. . . I have a lot of friends with Nemrod guns, the company went out of business, after many years, there are hundreds of guns, that I know of, that are worthless without a specialized rubber seal that is no longer available.

There is a lot of talent on this forum, and we'll all have different opinions, because of different experience. My experience is you need a short, quick to turn gun with lots of power for Carp or Catfish, less power but more accuracy for walleye. After my 4 pneumatics wouldn't work anymore, I switched to the JBL 38 special, with 3 notches for rubber bands. This was good for most lake shooting, but not enough power for bigger carp, or catfish over 20 lbs. A friend bought an AB Billar, more expensive, but a better gun than the JBL, you get a better gun, if you pay more. His gun was too long to be optimal at 10 foot viz. 4 friends I dive with have all switched to Riffe's OS metaltech. . . it's a mid handle gun, about the length of a JBL 38 special, but with the handle near the middle, easier to manuever in cover for Flathead catfish. With the Riffe, I've stuck carp swimming out of my visibility at 15 to 18 feet, and gotten them. That's my experience, there are other guns to try. I stopped looking when I found a gun I like. Click on my photo and see if I'm hunting what you want to hunt.

Thanks for the insight...and passing on your experience Those cats must have been a real tussle! I hunt antelope with a crossbow here in Wyoming and was looking for something new like what you do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom