Aeris Atmos XT weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GatorCT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I've just received a new Atmos XT BCD. I note that there are no rear (non-ditchable) weights with the system. Will that cause problems when floating on the surface waiting for the boat to reappear?
I guess I could wear a lightweight belt underneath it, but that sort of defeats the purpose.
Any advice from other Atmos users would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter

Get out and dive the equipment before looking for solutions to problems that may or may not exist! In any case, the non-ditchable weights are generally there for enabling better trim underwater, not balancing you like a buoy on the surface.

You're correct that there may not be a problem at all, but I won't have a chance to test out the BCD, until I'm in the Caymans and I'd like to be prepared.
I'm aware of the function/purpose of rear, non-ditchable weights. I was just looking for advice from other Atmos XT users. The Atmos XT got a stellar review from Scuba Diving magazine a few years' back, but I noticed that the newer LX has implemented a rear weight solution.

The hybrid design of the XT brings some of the buoyant lift to the front of the BC - I've found that the surface flotation is very stable without them. There are quite a few XT users on the board - I would expect that you'll hear the same from them. You may want to look into after market trim pockets, should you decide that you need them.

Thanks Doug,
The article I mentioned made a point of how stable the XT was on the surface, due to the hybrid design, so I'm hoping that'll prove true. The fit seems perfect, and the ditchable weight seem placed more on the sides than the front, so I'm hoping the extra trim weights won't be necessary. Less is more, sometimes.
Why did the LX add the rear weights? Is the jacket a slightly different design?

I'm actually thinking that adding weight to the back of the tank, and leaving the design of the XT alone, might the best possible solution. I'm almost neutrally buoyant anyway. The tests done on the XT indicated very little natural buoyancy in the BCD (1-2 lbs lift). So all I need is enough to sink my wetsuit and tank, and maybe add a little extra weight (4-5 lbs max) on the back to neutralize the empty tank at the surface, as well as fine-tune the trim below. I'll goof around with it.
Thanks again,
Peter

PSikes,
I have an Aeris Atmos XT - maybe we have different versions of the same model? - because mine has rear non-ditchable 5 lbs max pockets. They are just pockets sewn to the backpack with velcro flaps, in the shoulder area, between the backpack and the bladder.

Not quite sure what the concern is. I have an XT - it has pockets for non-ditchable weights on the back tucked in against the tank. The ditchable weight pockets are well balanced on the side of the jacket (i.e. not too far to the front). The slight wrap-around of the bladder keeps you very stable and yet I am not aware of any squeezing or constriction.

:dork2:

Ok, I apologize. I missed those two back pockets entirely!
Excuse me, while I stuff both feet into my mouth.

Thanks to all,

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom