New UW camera and Stobe. Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaQ72

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I'm relatively new to underwater photography and I undestand that photography is a lot experimenting with camera settings and lots of practice. I recently received a Canon PowerShot SD950 IS camera + Canon WP-DC19 housing, AD Mount Base DC19,UFL-165AD Underwater Fisheye Lens and D-2000 Inon Strobe as gift, which I'm considering exchanging it. I've never use a strobe before, all my uw photography was done with a simple Sealife DC500 camera which I lost. Can anyone tell me any tips were to start?

Thank you

Keep the strobe. You should be all right. With a strobe, WB settings will not be as important.....less backscatter too IF you angle the strobe right.

Apart from that, its all about getting in close! The whole reason why you have a fisheye is so that you can get in closer and still capture the scene......some people forget and simply take it off to take the picture so everything fits while you are at a distance. Choose your shots carefully and compose....and finally, try to shoot facing up....not down.....get low (shoot straight on and/or up), get close.....have fun!

Oh yeah....chasing a fish down and shooting it's bum is pointless....try to anticipate the shot and get it square in the eye...

That is a great setup. You want a camera that has manual control (aperture & shutter speed)...which it does. Inon strobes are it as far as I am concerned....so you are looking good there too. I recommend shooting manual topside (hey...its free) until you are comfortable changing the aperture & shutter speed and see what effect they have on your pictures. Next step would be to take it in a pool or local dive hole and practice, practice, practice some more.

Dave

Definitely second keeping the strobe unless you're trading in the whole system. Did you have another system in mind? I'm unfamiliar with that particular set up but it looks like you've got a very well rounded rig.

I've picked up the Underwater Photographer from Martin Edge, Digital Imaging for Underwater Photographer from Jack & Sue Drafahl as well as some other books. They're pretty helpful in assisting understanding digital issues as well as general UW photo issues.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

Thank you all for your tips. I'll keep you posted. I'm traveling to Roatan in July, hopefully I will have plenty of time to practice while I'm down there

DO NOT get rid of your strobe just because it is new. You will grow to love it.

My first UW setup was a Canon SD700 with a Sea and Sea strobe - I loved this and only upgraded when I eventually flodded the camera. I actually took some very nice pictures with that setup - and it was what got me addicted... There is a learning curve, but you'll get the hang of it.

It's great that you got the FE lens, but also keep in mind that Canon Powershots have a great macro setting that will let you get VERY close to your subject, and with a strobe, you will be able to get some nice macro pics.

Good luck, and have a great time in Roatan!!!

DON'T wait until you're in Roatan to practice. Learn your camera upside down and inside out, till you don't even have to think about which button does what. Then get in the pool with some friends and some small toys and practice taking pictures of close and moving objects in different kinds of light. Use the manual settings, and when they start looking real good, write your settings down. If you have programmable presets in the camera, set them for your 3-4 favorite types of picture.

Really good tips here! I do second reading Martin's book.....a lot to learn.....you can have the necessary equipment but it will not produce the results if you don't know how to use it right.

Having a sports car does not make you Lewis Hamilton or Schumacher....

Back
Top Bottom