Any shore diving off the SC or GA coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whathedeuce

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Probably not, but i thought i would ask. Is there any decent shore diving between savannah and myrtle beach? Or, are there any reasonable charters running this time of year? Thanks

Not that I'm aware of it would be like diving in chocolate milk. There are a few of us that go out to near or offshore wrecks and live bottom pretty regularly but often on short notice since the winds and tide change so frequently around here. If you're up for a dark water dive you could try Charleston for sharks teeth. The vis will be good till about the middle of April.

I was just going to post the same question! I'm thinking of heading there in mid-April and wondered what the water temp would be (I'm guessing low 60's). Have you heard anything with regard to Gray's Reef?

Not that I'm aware of it would be like diving in chocolate milk. There are a few of us that go out to near or offshore wrecks and live bottom pretty regularly but often on short notice since the winds and tide change so frequently around here. If you're up for a dark water dive you could try Charleston for sharks teeth. The vis will be good till about the middle of April.

when you say "dark water" are you referring to murky or deep? What is "good" vis for a Charleston sharks teeth dive. that actually sounds kinda fun... do you have to take a charter to get to the site? or are you referring to the cooper river? thanks

No shore diving in either state unless you just want to look at sand. If you are going to be near Savannah or Hilton Head give Walt Rhame a call. He owns and runs Mako Dive Carter in Sav. Super nice guy, good diver, and nice 33" Boston Whaler. He also does sight seeing tours. Check out his website : : Mako Dive Charter : : His # is 912-604-6256.

Savannah/Hilton head has some great diving. Getting out there is a little challanging sometimes. 15-20 miles for good water. I've been out on days with 60+ ft of vis and 1-2 ft seas and days with 5 ft of vis.

If you are interested in "black water" or dark "water diving" in this area you can go to the May river. I don't know anyone who runs charters there, but a Jon Boat is all you need. The depths are about 30-35 ft. Vis. is sparadic. 2 ft is good 6" is bad. I'll take anything between. You have to watch the tides though. Extreme high tides are not good for the vis.

Hope I could help.

Water temp this time of the year can range from mid 50's to mid 60's. Grey's reef has some nice ledges. I've had some great dives there and some forgetable ones too. I've never seen any sharks there but have heard of a lot of sightings. IMHO, if you have seen other reefs around the world you might be disappointed. I would rather dive the wrecks around here. See my post above and talk to Walt. I don't think he goes to Grey's but Georgia Offshore Scuba Charters does. They are 20 from downtown Sav. in Richmond Hill, GA. Ask for Bob 912-756-5260.

I am neither Bob nor Walt, I don't own a boat or shop, so I am not advertising for myself. I just happen to use and like both, as-well-as Ralph at Zero Gravity dive shop 912-920-1155.

Duece,
In response to your question, river diving can produce vis from 2'-10' right now there is very little algae in the water from the cooler temps. The last river dive I did we didn't have to use a light. The position of the sun is very important. You want to try to dive at 2 hours before or after a tide crest to reduce current and have the sun directly above. Your first dive is pretty exciting if you're comfortable in the water. Usually folks tend to suck air a bit more till they get a few dives under their belt and relax a bit with the limited vis. You'll find tons of cool stuff and life in the bottom of our local creeks. I usually find about 20-50 teeth on each dive. Mostly fragments or broken pieces but every once in awhile I'll find a good one.

Umm...new to the area here in SC but a guy I used to dive with (and some of his buddies) would go dive the Cooper River and find all sorts of fossils. Really poor vis though most of the time. Hope this helps! :)

I-95 Exit 87*** Richmond Hill
HOME

There is more diving offshore Georgia than you hear advertised. Me and a group will be diving with Captain Tim Aug 9-10. Also Bob out of Scubamarket USA does charters too. It is an advanced dive due to currents and conditions. Vis on a good day can be 50' down to 10'. The reefs are very full of life and pristine. Grays reef is a common destination and just a few Captains know the sweet spots! Just give them a ring or PM me for any information.
Another regular here is CAPTAIN WALT. He is on my friends list and can be PM'd if you are interested in chartering him also!

Happy diving in Georgia!
Carolyn:sharks:

Would appreciate the contact info of the captains that operate dive boats out of Savannah. Capt Tim? Capt Bob? Capt Walt? as Posted by the "Shark Diva".

Back
Top Bottom