How does Diving benefit the world as a whole?

I Dive because...

• Diving offers stress relief.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I enjoy feeling weightless and free.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • It lets me get away from life.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • It's just a good and interesting way to have fun!

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jefri416

Reaction score
I love diving. With all it has to offer, I think SCUBA Diving is one of the greatest hobbies. Yet, I'm curious as to why so many people, world-wide, participate in it. I am doing a report on how SCUBA Diving affects daily life and how it benefits people and THEIR lives. Please, if you have the time, it would help me in delivering a strong report if you would kindly offer your opinion. Does it help relieve stress? Is it important because it has aided us as humans in discovering things about ourselves? our past? Thank you for your time. -Jeff

I think that the benefit to people around me would be that I can't talk underwater!!

scuba_katt once bubbled...
I think that the benefit to people around me would be that I can't talk underwater!!

I dunno... We could all chip in and send one of those under water communication bits down under to ya...

Scubaroo once bubbled...
How about raising individual environmental awareness???

This is true, but unfortnatley divers are also a detriment to the environment.

It probably seems like a pretty trite statement but... Scuba diving really does open up a new realm for people to see and explore.

Many of the physical laws as are experienced on the surface are not the same underwater. Everything is just plain vastly different. It is a world that we were not designed to experience.

Every bit of it is fun! But I don't know that I could argue that 'SCUBA for the masses' has been necessarily a positive thing for the world at large.

but I think I would find that my current dive buddies would all "mysteriously" have extremely busy schedules if they knew I could talk underwater!!

But thanks for the offer!

I chose the first answer, because it is a tremendous stress relief for me....I often joke that everyone on the ship is happy when I dive on a regular basis <grin>

But I could have chosen the second answer as well....that's one of my favorite parts of diving.

scuba_katt - You don't need one of those underwater communication thingies....I could just teach you sign language <grin>

Peace,
Cathie

jefri416 once bubbled...
I love diving. With all it has to offer, I think SCUBA Diving is one of the greatest hobbies. Yet, I'm curious as to why so many people, world-wide, participate in it. I am doing a report on how SCUBA Diving affects daily life and how it benefits people and THEIR lives. Please, if you have the time, it would help me in delivering a strong report if you would kindly offer your opinion. Does it help relieve stress? Is it important because it has aided us as humans in discovering things about ourselves? our past? Thank you for your time. -Jeff

I dive because I am interested in what is going on under the water. !!Caution This post is de-railing for a moment!! I have always been fascinated with failure analysis and why things break, or why things work. I'm a mech. egr. and this is what I did in the lab I ran for 2 years...It is also related to what I am currently doing (investigating why someone elses code doesn;t work). Long story short, I love tearing stuff up, ripping things apart, and figuring out what makes them tick...or why they've stopped ticking.........This is one of the reasons I want to start wreck diving. I abolutely would love the opportunity to go down and investigate a ship-wreck, I mean what would be cooler than exploring a ship that mysteriouly sunk 5 years and finding the root cause of the failure...Combine that with the fact I've been in the water since I could walk...and you have a recipe for some deranged fool who can't get enough bottom time or big enough tanks...

As for reefs, all those thousands of creatures that live there are way colorful and highly entertaining. I could dive on one of those reefs for hours and never get tired of finding new things to see...

Of course all this is relative...I live in OH....the only creatures we have are craw-dads and angry trout b/c you didn't bring them any food. And a row-boat is considered a cool u/w site at a quarry. So when I do get to go elsewhere....needless to say I'm the first one off the boat and the one coming back with 500psi or whatever the boat min is that day....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom