Want to dive one day in Key Largo, but stay elsewhere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm taking my family to Floriday for spring break - staying in Orlando for a couple days but we were thinking of going down to get a couple dives in with my 13 year old daughter one day. Lodging in Key Largo is way too expensive, plus really nothing there to do for my 8 year old.
We were thinking of maybe staying on Miami beach somewhere and driving to Key Largo for diving that morning. We don't want to have to get up TOO early though.
Any suggestions as to where to stay? How long of a drive is this in the morning from Miami to Key Largo?
Thanks.

You can get some cheap lodging in Key Largo, however, if you are driving from Miami to Key Largo in the AM during spring break it will take you will over 1.5hrs. depending on the day. You could bring the family, stay in Key Largo for a day or so and then send the non-diving part down to Taverner for the day your 8yr old would find things to do down there.

If you can find a place that has a spot open, camping on Key Largo can be quite inexpensive.

I would think Miami Beach would be more expensive than Key Largo. Florida City is not too far (20 - 30 minute drive) from Key Largo.

Your daughter will love Ft Lauderdale Beach .... we also have great shore dives in this area and Key Largo is 1.5 hours away :)
I would suggest diving Key Largo with Conch divers
CONCH REPUBLIC DIVERS VOTED #1 DIVE SHOP IN FLORIDA KEYS..2006 & 2007
As far as a place to stay....
In Key Largo pm Speargirl here on the board see what she has to offer.
or
in Ft Lauderdale area
Fort Lauderdale Florida (FL) Hotels - A Little Inn by the Sea
Have fun and be sure to post a thread with the date and location of your dive and we might just show up :wink:
Kim P

Here's my opinion based on lots of experience. I make two trips every year. Diving for several days in Key Largo and spend two or three days in Miami Beach. I know both South Beach and Key Largo like the back of my hand. You will find the same prices for a room in both Key Largo and Miami depending on what "star" rating you want. A four star in Miami is about the same as Key Largo. Of course, it depends on location. On the beach is always more expensive than blocks away from the beach.

Why in the world would you want to fight Miami morning traffic? And yes, you would be getting up extremely early in order to catch a morning boat in Key Largo. Also, understand this...Highway 1 is two lane. If there's a big wreck up ahead or if the drawbridge at Jewfish creek is up for an extended period, you might not catch your boat in time.

Take it from experience. I tried that "stay in Miami Beach-drive to Key Largo to dive" years ago. Forget it. We stay in Key Largo when we dive and then drive over to Miami Beach when we want to play. Trust me...you'll end up spending more money and open yourself up to more possible frustation than you can imagine if you stay in Miami Beach and drive to Key Largo. Yes, most of the time it's not a problem. However, anyone who has ever been "stuck" on Hwy 1 knows what I'm talking about.

Cheap places in Key Largo include Hungry Pelican and Seafarer Inn.

US 1 is also under construction right now. If you still are driving the same day you dive, most operators have a 1 PM dive as well.

Ok, as for dive ops in Key largo - who use the big boats which have a head on them? (like the ones that Aqua-nuts used to have? Is Cristal Clear still operating the big boat out of Tavernier? I do prefer a boat with a head on it.

They are not kidding about the traffic, even if you take the old Us1( card sound I think) Im down there six time a year and no matter what time of day, weekday, or road its still a royal pain. You might consider getting there a day early, pass Key largo a bit get some tourist shopping in, stop in a robies and feed some tarpon, then rest up for a good day of diving.. And dont even consider going past the posted speed limit to get there if your a bit behind.

Have a safe trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom