Working towards DIR config. Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to work toward a DIR-style rig over the next couple seasons and have some questions as to how to approach it.

Here is my current config:
SeaQuest ProQD BC (Jacket) w/ AirSource backup second stage
SCUBAPro MK2/R190 reg
Uwatec Aladdin AI console computer

I want to eventually get to this type of config:
SCUBAPro Mk25/S600 w/ R190 octo
BP/Wings
Long hose
Suunto Vytec computer

I would like to begin using a long hose ASAP. Does anyone have any ideas about how to route a long hose with a jacket BC until I can upgrade the rest of my gear?

My current plan is:
1. long hose
2. New reg
3. BP/Wings
4. ebay BC
5. computer

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You would route your long hose the same way with a bc, you can tuck the extra hose in your cumberband if you don't have a canister light.

Dive computers aren't really DIR unless you planning on using it in gauge mood. Otherwise you could just get a bottom timer.

Don't forget the bungee for your backup.

Thanks.

I should have said a sorta-DIR config. No will ever be able to convince me to lose the computer, not even Pug! :)

I will also be bungeeing the R190, but until I get a new reg, I'll be sticking with the AirSource.

I dont really understand how I would tuck the extra hose into the cumberbund, however. I do not have a canister light.

Wendy once bubbled...
You would route your long hose the same way with a bc, you can tuck the extra hose in your cumberband if you don't have a canister light.

Dive computers aren't really DIR unless you planning on using it in gauge mood. Otherwise you could just get a bottom timer.

Don't forget the bungee for your backup.

I would like to begin using a long hose ASAP. Does anyone have any ideas about how to route a long hose with a jacket BC until I can upgrade the rest of my gear?

Or you could use a 5 ft hose instead of 7 ft.

(That is If your not planning any overhead enviroments)

Jeff

I would say you've got a good plan there. Keep an eye on ebay, all of that stuff comes up pretty regularly for a lot less than retail. As for the long hose, don't get a 7 footer right away. Go with a 5 foot hose until you get your bp/wing. (the hose is only $30) To route the 5': off of 1st stage, under your right armpit, across your chest, behind your neck, and into your mouth from the right side. This is a really common setup for non-overhead environments, you get the benefit of a long hose, without the need for a can. light.

-Mike

Aaron, if you are diving a single get a 5' hose instead. Before getting my halycon I dove with that same Seaquest BCD w/ a long hose, just tryto tuck the hose under the corner of the BCD and that will be fine.

Good move going to the long hose and bungeed secondary right away, it's so important for safe air sharing.

Do you own the DIR-F book(by Jablonski)? If not pick it up on amazon or gue.com, it's very interesting.

Another nit-picky DIR issue, what fins are you using? Split fins, while not outlawed are frowned upon and spring straps are preffered.

Lots of rumors that there will be a DIR-F class offered again this spring/summer in MA, so keep your fingers crossed!

The 5 fter sounds like a good plan to me.

You won't ever see me inside a wreck or a cave, so overhead environments are not an issue. I'm just trying to improve my setup.

How much should I expect for my SeaQuest Pro QD (not Pro QD+) on ebay? $250-300?

The extra length of hose will tuck into or under pretty much anything (weight belt, BC harness, knife, pocket).

When you deploy it you duck your head to release the extra hose stored behind your neck. Your buddy now has air and room to move. Now you can release the extra bit that is tucked in at your leisure.

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
Another nit-picky DIR issue, what fins are you using? Split fins, while not outlawed are frowned upon and spring straps are preffered.

I do have split fins, which I may or may not replace right away. I prefer them mostly because of a knee injury which makes it painful to use JetFins with a flutter kick. So, until I can get some good practice in a pool with a frog kick, I'm sticking with them.

I have a set of spring straps, but have not attached them because I need some more hardware. The Twin Jets already have a very easy donning/doffing method, so I'm not in a huge hurry.

Like I said, I want to adopt some of the DIR config, but not all of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom