I think I'm lost..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is this the best place to post questions regarding the entire Gulf Coast of the USA? Should I post both here and Texas Swamp Divers? I didn't want to double dip, 'cuz people get annoyed. I'm just looking to find a nice warm patch of water with pretty stuff in it this spring. Maybe the Gulf Coast will be less costly than CZM. I'm just starting my research now.

Thanks - Gayla

We think we are the best place to post. The Gulf of Mexico seems bigger than it is. Much of the Texas, Louisana and Mississippi coast are not great diving. They come over here to South Alabama and the Panhandle of Florida. There are several excellent dive sites here (over 150 dive sites off the S.A. and F.P. coast). Come see us and dive the Oriskany or any of the other 149 sites.

BTW are you from the Seattle area?

Welcome
Donna

No, I'm from the dry side of the mountains. Eastern Washington - Tri-Cities to be more specific.
So, If I wanted to inquire about FLA as well, I'd post on the Florida Conch Divers forum? Or here only?

So, If I wanted to inquire about FLA as well, I'd post on the Florida Conch Divers forum? Or here only?

Only if you were interested in going past the "Big Bend" (long boat trips, some shore diving for fossils/teeth). All the best FL panhandle divers also hang out here.

Pensacola-Panama City, have shorter trips available to get some water over your head.

Most people post in theDeep Dixie Divers are Panhandle (Pensacola area) Al, Ms, and La.
Texas has there own section.

Is this the best place to post questions regarding the entire Gulf Coast of the USA? Should I post both here and Texas Swamp Divers? I didn't want to double dip, 'cuz people get annoyed. I'm just looking to find a nice warm patch of water with pretty stuff in it this spring. Maybe the Gulf Coast will be less costly than CZM. I'm just starting my research now.

Thanks - Gayla

Well, I wouldn't compare the Gulf Coast to CZM. Not that the Gulf folks aren't great folks (they are fun folks), but the quality of diving with the exception of the Big O doesn't compare. You are seeking "warm water." What is warm to you. Spring diving along the gulf coast can be a bit nippy to some. If you are looking for a rock bottom price for warm water, nice walls and fish and don't mind a little bit of 3rd world, think Roatan (Fantasy Island). Good diving, great price if the airfare works out.

...Spring diving along the gulf coast can be a bit nippy to some...
Nippy indeed... the northern Gulf doesn't usually warm up much, (warm to us is bathing suit warm... 82+ :) ) especially at typical diving depths, until well into June. Just looking back a few years through the log at some spring bottom temps (60-80 FSW) off Panama city...

Date ........ Bottom temp
4/15/00 ........ 65
4/28/01 ........ 65
4/28/02 ........ 68
4/26/03 ........ 70
4/25/04 ........ 67
5/15/05 ........ 68
6/10/06 ........ 72
5/5/07 .......... 64

While those aren't bone-chilling by any means, they're cool enough to warrant at least a 5 mil & a hood for any kind of decent bottom time.
--
If you want warm water in the spring and truly the best deal going, check out a Blackbeard's cruise.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom