Maximus First stage air bleed stops working

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rev1953

Reaction score
I have 2 Sherwood Maximus reg's. which the air bleed stops working after as few as 4 dives in salt water. I've been told this is normal by 2 dive shops, and that I should have the first stage cleaned after each salt water dive trip.
Is this normal?

That is not normal, i know a few people that use the newer maximus and one that uses the older style Maximus, they all go on saltwater trips and the dry air bleed does not stop working, the dry air bleed should not stop working, that is why the sherwood first stage is so different than most piston regulators

Welcome to the board.
Horse poo, the air bleed on that reg should keep working for years unless you abuse it...soak it in saltwater without it being pressurized. You need to find a better shop to repair your regs.

Thanks I'll try another shop
Maybe I should send the reg's. back to Sherwood for a damage report.

Thanks I'll try another shop
Maybe I should send the reg's. back to Sherwood for a damage report.

What the shop told you is total nonsense. There is no need to send them to Sherwood, as any reputable shop can straighten out your regs. They are extremely simple to service. I have used Sherwoods in salt water for as many as 400 dives before service, and the dry bleed system was still working normally.

I agree. I have 2 sherwood regs, and the airbleed has been working for years.... Even when I neglected to service it after 8 years. You can tell that they are working, because if you pressurize your reg and turn your valve off.... the system becomes depressurized within 10 minutes. If it were plugged, it probably will take up to 3 hours for the system to depressurize.. I am guessing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom