Please critique my photoshopped family portrait.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sasscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
This is our family portrait which is 36 years old. Been photoshopping it over the past 3 days. I am very new to photoshop and am learning. I know it is not underwater related but please I need unbiased opinions, good and bad I can take it. All the colors of clothing are what they were. Thanks for any help. Scott.:D
Before and after. It was in a frame at my grandmothers house in the sun so it turned completely purple!
Singer.jpg

singerface16eyesdarker.jpg

Wow, that's an impressive job!!!

The baby's mouth looks a little dark, like a cavern...

And some of the eyes look wierd.

But if you had printed it out on a 4x6 photo paper, I probably owuldn't notice. Good job!!!!

Wow, that's an impressive job!!!

The baby's mouth looks a little dark, like a cavern...

And some of the eyes look wierd.

But if you had printed it out on a 4x6 photo paper, I probably owuldn't notice. Good job!!!!

Thanks. Which eyes? The mouth on the baby is dark, having a hard time fixing that cause he did not have any teeth in the picture.

thats a good go, the kids hair is a bit off. Too dark on the older one, and the blonde doesn't look right on the little one. But hair is hard to get right. Keep at it. :)

Impressive.

The teeth are too blue. Most teeth have a touch of yellow in them.

You might also experiment with purposefully adding back in a bit of color noise in areas that are now unnaturally flat -- like the skin of the faces and the black hair of the boy.

I think it looks good, but it has a somewhat unnatural colorized/retouched look. I agree with Alcina, that it might look better monochrome, either B&W or Sepia.
Given what you started with, you did a great job.

Have you tried just making it BW?

It's a little scary as is, right now!

Yes I have a black and white copy but the family really wants it in color. It is a bit scary for my first time but again it is not done and still working on it.

thats a good go, the kids hair is a bit off. Too dark on the older one, and the blonde doesn't look right on the little one. But hair is hard to get right. Keep at it. :)

Thanks. The hair is actually right on believe it or not. I have emailed back and forth these corrections to my mother and I have old photos in color of us as kids and I had jet black hair as a kid and my brothers was a white blond. They look nothing like that today though...:D

Impressive.

The teeth are too blue. Most teeth have a touch of yellow in them.

You might also experiment with purposefully adding back in a bit of color noise in areas that are now unnaturally flat -- like the skin of the faces and the black hair of the boy.

I agree. I am going to redo them to a slight yellow and add some noise in the entire pic to preserve the older look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom