Ningaloo - a million things go wrong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
...but I still had a lovely day out diving yesterday! Here's a short list of the problems so you can all send some sympathy my way :wink:

* I woke up late thanks to some overcast and daylight savings. I hate daylight savings and can't wait to get off it.
* I was feeling a little off but had missed diving all last weekend due to being sick, so nothing was stopping me
* I couldn't remember which menu setting moved my focus button to the right button on the housing...luckily my dive buddy could help with that, but it was still frustrating. Tested everything else, all working. Good to go.
* I couldn't find the little bit that attaches my focus light to the housing. And I had finally remembered to charge the dumb thing! It appears that Tilly has "moved" it, or she's moved it and we've picked up and haven't put it back in the right place. Whatever, it's still missing today :(
* I picked up my tanks at the dive shop, closed the hatch on the Subaru and one of the U's fell off the back...so I now drive a S BARU
* Despite working fine during the test before I left the house, my 240 is now only firing a preflash. So dark photos and a frustrating start to dive one trying to trouble-shoot it.
* Strobe started to work part-way through the dive, only to pike out at an essential time, of course. Oh well, I kinda remembered how to shoot with only one!
* back on the surface dive buddy tries to trouble-shoot the strobe. Appears nothing to be done til we get back on land. I'm feeling worse and consider sitting out dive two.
* Wind comes up, making the surface crappy. I decide to dive. Wind dies to nothing, but I'm dressed and ready so hit the water.
* Potter around, see cool stuff, only have a single strobe. Whoops, no strobe now, batteries die. Turn it off, wait, power it down a couple notches, turn it back on, have strobe again...kind of, if I remember to wait for recycle.
* Not feeling the greatest so end dive. Take more than five minutes from 9m to surface, feel terrible the whole time. Get washed off ladder with one fin on the boat and one in my hand. Swim ungracefully back to boat. Get on boat, feeling crappier and crappier.
* Get home. Take nap and headache drugs :)

Didn't download my shots until late this afternoon. Nothing fabulous, but a few that I liked and a couple of new creatures, so all's well that ends well! Here's a couple to get things started:

Lots of occies around...my favourite of the day was this guy doing a little self lovin'
occyspotsarm.jpg

This was a pretty small mantis shrimp. He jetted back into his hole or left the area completely coz I kept coming back hoping he'd come out to play again but no dice
mantisflower.jpg

Of course there was great cleaning action
mouthcleaning.jpg

And my keen eyed dive bud found her Velvetfish again...this little guy isn't supposed to live where he does, so shhhh! Don't tell!
velvet1.jpg

Canon 40D, Canon 100mm macro, Subal housing & port, single Inon 220s strobe (bah :shakehead:)
Dive sites: Blizzard Ridge & Gulliver's - 13m; Lighthouse Bay, Exmouth, Ningaloo Reef, Western Australia

Hope you are feeling better, and that you figure out the strobe issues.

For a bad day you certainly got a few nice shots! I really like the Mantis shrimp shot!

That Mantis Shrimp shot looks fake! What a fantastic collage of colors and shapes! Thanks for sharing them.

78.gif

Ok, you have my sympathy only because you finished diving and got some great shots.

I concur, for not such a good day you got some great shots!

Mike

Wow i wish my pix could look like that!!!!

Those are fantastic, Kristen! You have never fail to amazed me and they are from a "bad" day. I can't imagine, what you could have done, if you weren't having those problems. :shakehead:

Ed.

I feel your pain. Now, I want to borrow some of your talent. For a bad day, you came back with some pictures I'd like on my best day. Hope you feel better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom