'O' Ring retractor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I recently replaced some o rings on my regs including o rings in my DIN TX100 but i found it a pain to remove the existing o ring without damaging it. Basically i just wanted to put some silicon grease on it but it took me forever to remove it. What do you use to remove o-rings without damaging them? Cheers

Go to you local shop and check out the Trident Dive Gear catalog, they have an excellent set of O-ring tools. Throw away the sharp pointed hook and keep the rest. do not use sharp pointed hooks or needles on O-rings or regs, they can scratch the surface of the machined parts and cause problems.

Hope this helps

ID

But I have never heard of trident are they american ?
I will have to see if i can order a set of o ring tools though, thanks for the advice. I'v used 6 toothpicks on this one ...its drivin me.. :bonk:

As an addendum to ID's advice: buy o-ring picks made of brass only, they won't scratch the chromed surfaces of regs and fittings. You can also file them into whatever shape you need.

Neil

Cheers Neil

anyone have any links to these tool sts please.

You can try Peter Bilt. They make tools for scuba regulator repair/maintainence. You can also try your local dentist, see if they wish to get rid of any picks.

Don't forget to check with your local dentist. Perhaps he has an older pick that cannot be used during exams anymore, but has enough of a point to assist in extracting O rings.

A big brass fish hook works. File the barb off of it though or you'll be catching yourself.

The brass is soft and won't hurt the o-ring seat. I've never worried about damaging the o-ring, I just replace them not re-use them. They are too cheap to try to re-cycle!

Hi all,
There is a tool made for working on firearms that looks exactly like a dental pick, but it's made of carbon so that it will not scratch delicate surfaces. I think this would be perfect for removing o-rings. I can't tell you where you can get one though. I saw this some time ago in one of the handgun magazines. If I can find a source I'll post it here.
Maybe some of the hunters on the board have seen this tool?

Tavi

O-ring kits are fairly cheap. The pick sets run about $8 and the o-rings themselves run 10-15 cents. Like others have said, you need to make sure that you don't scratch up the o-ring seat when pulling one out, but a little care is all that is necessary to do a good job. I second the vote for replacing instead of cleaning o-rings.

Just my $.02

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom