Why SR-1 over Maximus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

castanagajt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been looking into these two regulators for a while now, and there has been lots of good reviews about the sherwood regulator line as of how easy and affordable they are to fix and maintain, their character in taking lots of abuse, the infamous dry air bleed on the first stage and that the old design is prone for not freezing and effortless breathing. What I have found was the Maximus has top markings, some divers has had even two
Sherwood Maximus Regulators in the past.

I like the fact that it has the swivel and under arm option and its moisture retaining fins. So in result I may have to buy the Apollo Bio-filter and a swivel on top of the regulatorl.

The SR-1 has a swivel 1st stage which is cool, and no more dry air valve, I am sure it is just as reliable as the regulators of the past yet it doesn't have the swivel nor the moisture retaining fins. What makes the SR-1 so much better than the Maximus:confused:

Castanagajt,

The SR1 and Maximus are different regulators and are each great for their specific purposes.

The Maximus is a very feature rich regulator with lots of history. It is an amazing cold water regulator, has the Moisture Retention System in the 2nd stage, and the under arm feature is fantastic. The first stage has been the same for the last 10 years. Why? Because it flat out works in all conditions. It is a great reg. The short coming with the Maximus would be that it doesn't breathe on the machines as well at extreme depths.

The SR1 is the brand new regulator from Sherwood, and it is an absolute rocket. It breathes as well, if not better, than any regulator on the market today. It is right there with the best of them. What you don't get with the SR1 is the Moisture Rentention System, and you don't get the underarm hose. Why because they don't allow a regulator to breathe as well at those extreme depths.

So which regulator is best for you? It depends on what kind of diving you are doing, and what features are most important to you.

Questions?

Sherwood Scuba

all right that helps alot. The SR1 can take on adverse weather just like the maximus yet it can handle more extreme depths than the Maximus and the retaining fins and swivel would make the SR1 more prone to failing if it had the same features as of the Maximus. Thanks Sherwood Scuba.

Just to clarify. The moisture fins and underarm hose do not make it "more prone to fail" but due the design of these features they do increase breathing resistance- they in no way make the reg more "prone to fail".

The only thing I would clarify is that the retaining fins and swivel would not make the SR1 more prone to fail, it would just not breathe as well in the extreme conditions.

You commented that the Maximus is an amazing cold water regulator. I have to agree. There are lots of them at work in the Great Lakes for that reason.

I have heard the the SR1 is not going to be as cold water free flow resistant as the Maximus. I am very happy with my Maximus, but I would be interested in the Sherwood take on the SR1 vrs. the Maximus for cold water use.

Thanks,

I have heard the the SR1 is not going to be as cold water free flow resistant as the Maximus. I am very happy with my Maximus, but I would be interested in the Sherwood take on the SR1 vrs. the Maximus for cold water use.

Thanks,

I asked our Sherwood sales manager this very question today. The SR1 is enviromentally sealed and is designed to perform as well, if not better than the Maximus in cold water.

Sherwood regulators are built to last and you will be able to get parts and have these regulators serviced 20 years from now. Many other brands on the market cannot make that claim.

Can you please define "extreme depths"? How deep are you actually talking? I am looking at the Maximus too adn frequently play between 80 - 110'; sometimes a bit deeper, but nothing below `30.

Thanks

Take a look at the SR1 and the Atomic B2 1st stage and the Atomic Z2 2nd stage. The Sherwood has the same seat saving setup as the Atomic. Talk at Dema 2007 said the SR1 is built after the Atomic or at least the parts are machined by the same company I love mine and I own a number of Atomics. Ace job Sherwood....Great reg!

Castanagajt,

The SR1 and Maximus are different regulators and are each great for their specific purposes.

The Maximus is a very feature rich regulator with lots of history. It is an amazing cold water regulator, has the Moisture Retention System in the 2nd stage, and the under arm feature is fantastic. The first stage has been the same for the last 10 years. Why? Because it flat out works in all conditions. It is a great reg. The short coming with the Maximus would be that it doesn't breathe on the machines as well at extreme depths.

The SR1 is the brand new regulator from Sherwood, and it is an absolute rocket. It breathes as well, if not better, than any regulator on the market today. It is right there with the best of them. What you don't get with the SR1 is the Moisture Rentention System, and you don't get the underarm hose. Why because they don't allow a regulator to breathe as well at those extreme depths.

So which regulator is best for you? It depends on what kind of diving you are doing, and what features are most important to you.

Questions?

Sherwood Scuba

I have always been a sherwood regulator fan and have two circa 1980s something regs (oasis and oasis+) and the 1990s oasis 2. All these still dive great and I dive them regularly to 100'+ depths. They are workhorse regs that perform great. I was not a fan of the latest generation of the oasis regs (current model) as I have not found the breathing characteristics or appearance as great. Maybe I'm old school, but I love the older regs better. I am excited about the new Sherwood SR1. Like the look and hear good things regarding performance. A couple of questions:
1. What dry air system does it use (the time tested dry air bleed system or something different)?
2. Any advantages over the Atomics or is what I hear that the 1st stage parts are made by the same folks who made Atomics?

Thanks,
Life long Sherwood fan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom