"Air Buddy" alternate air source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am assuming that this device is in lieu of a regular octopus?

If so, what are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

Sy

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 150
They claim that it uses less air than a regulator. I find it hard to believe. It is simply a first stage with limitted airflow. You are essentially breathing from a free flowing, but restricted, regulator.

Essentially, your mouth perform the function of the second stage one way exhaust valve, so you will be sucking in water, unless you practice with it alot. If it dispenses less air than an on demand second state like your regulator, my guess is - you will be oxygen hungry with a wet mouth. I don't think that is better than a regular second stage.

Advantages? Probably extremetly reliable. Disadvantages? You can not share it with a buddy who is inexperienced at using such a device - they are probably safer doing a cesa or breathing from your octo.

JFYI, I have been using one now for almost three years. I bought it initially because I am a traditional/vintage/minimalsit diver and it is certainly minimal and almost invisible if used with a vintage set up or minimalsit rig. I got the so called high performance and nitrox ready version, lol. I have actually been very pleased with it. The first time I used it I nearly drowned, good thing it was in a pool but after realizing what I did wrong, took about 5 seconds, it was off and running. I love it. I have completed entire dives breathing entirely from it alone at depths close to 100 feet. Piece of cake.

I suggest if you get one that you would use it for your secondary and trade your "standard" regulator to the OOA diver--not an octapus--if you follow. The reason is that it does require about 5 seconds of training to figure it out and that might be to much for a OOAD to deal with if they are already stressed.

IMO, it is a perfectly acceptable device and works just fine. It also is great for filling lift bags, sausages, blowing bubbles and all sorts of fun. That it eliminates a bulky second stage is even better. On my solo dives I like having it along because should I have a failure of my trust worthy and bullet proof Aqua Masters I can always go to the "Buddy" and should I need to donate air I would donate my mouthpiece or second stage and I would go to the "Buddy." Hope that makes sense and another BTW, regulators have nothing to do with air consumption to any real degree, that is strictly a function of the diver unless of course there were something wrong with the regulator like air gushing from it etc, lol. Don't believe me, don't matter, it has been proven, the diver is the 98%, the regulator is simply not critical to air consumption in normal circumstances.

The one you pictured is the one that installs inline with the BC inflator, that is good but mine is a stand alone on a 40 inch hose.

I did one semi cave dive with it in a well known and beautiful spring I used to dive long ago. They only let "selected" people dive there now it seems. Well, to heck with that. Nobody was around much, I snuck in 19 foot poney and Airbuddy on a Mark V with button spg and stuck the pony in my belt and away I went, hit 90 plus feet, took in the sights, exited the overhead just fine, did not get thrown in jail, all in all a succesful mission.

N

...well, if you dive at the local lake...or maybe someplace like Bonare (where you're completely on your own and can dive whenever/however you wish) you can choose to use such a thing.....but I think anyplace where you are under the supervision of a DM (like diving off a charter/liveaboard) they will take a VERY dim view of seeing a 'toy' / 'pseudo' octo as part of your gear set up...any place where diving is treated reasonably seriously will laugh you out of the water if you show up with such a 'device'.

...well, if you dive at the local lake...or maybe someplace like Bonare (where you're completely on your own and can dive whenever/however you wish) you can choose to use such a thing.....but I think anyplace where you are under the supervision of a DM (like diving off a charter/liveaboard) they will take a VERY dim view of seeing a 'toy' / 'pseudo' octo as part of your gear set up...any place where diving is treated reasonably seriously will laugh you out of the water if you show up with such a 'device'.

I respectfully disagree

My Wife/Buddy and I both use the Air2 by Scubapro which is connected to the BC Inflator hose. The pictured device looks similar to (but lower profile than) our Air2's. Neither of us have an octopus.

We have just returned from Red Sea and we did about 30 dives between us with a very reputed dive operator. This included AOW and Nitrox courses. Nobody, DM or Instructors, gave us a second thought with regards to the Air2's. One Instructor asked if we liked them and that was that.

On the two dives that my wife did not dive (medical conference was the reason we were there in the first place :wink: ), I was sure to brief my buddy that she would get my primary if she went OOA and I made her breath from it so she would be aware of how we would be positioned during the ascent.

(Added: With regard to the "Air Buddy", the intention is that it is becomes the Primary of the wearer after donating his/her own Primary. In this regard, the "owner" should be comfortable and practiced with his/her own gear. There should be no effect on the buddy who is OOA and using the Primary.)

I am assuming that this device is in lieu of a regular octopus?

If so, what are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

Sy

Hey Sy,

As per my previous posting;

Another option is the Air2 from ScubaPro. It has a proper low profile regulator and is attached to the LP BC Hose. The hose is slightly thicker than the regular hose.

My buddy and I have alternately tried them in practice OOA situations, and we both find them to be comfortable and usable. There can be a limitation in the extent to which you can look (turn your head) to the right, as it is limited by the length of the BCD Hose.

The other thing is that you may want to increase the length of your primary reg hose as this will limit the distance that your buddy can be at when they are using your primary. My buddy (wife) and I are ok with the length as we like to be close anyway :D and the max time you will be in that configuration is ascent + Safety stop (assuming direct ascent is available).

Best Regards
Richard (Riger)

I respectfully disagree

My Wife/Buddy and I both use the Air2 by Scubapro which is connected to the BC Inflator hose. The pictured device looks similar to (but lower profile than) our Air2's. Neither of us have an octopus.

This thing is not an Air-2.

It's a garage air-blower with a mouthpiece attached.

There's no regulator in it, just a "bendy" thing that releases air.

Terry

Fair comment that it is not a regulator in the true sense of the word.

It does however allow the user to regulate the flow of air into their mouth. In addition, it is not intended for use as an Air Supply for your OOA Dive buddy, but for your own use. As Nemrod pointed out, it is easy to use as soon as you know how, like many other pieces of equipment we use as part of our gear. Surely one can not consider the Air Buddy to be a toy?

Best Regards
Richard (Riger)

The airbuddy can either be a separate thing like an octo, or integrated with the inflator hose like an air 2. But the airbuddy piece itself is not a regulator, while your air2 is. What you're looking is a similar physical config/location to your air2, but the gizmo itself is not similar aside from supplying air.

Back
Top Bottom