new BCD for a big guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdd240z

Reaction score
I am looking for a new BCD and need some advice. I am a large man, 6'4" and 315 lbs. I have a 54" chest and 44" waist.

Can anyone offer some suggestions on brands and sources?

Thanks,

Kevin
Fresno, CA

Zeagle BCs are modular. You can buy bigger shoulder straps or cumberbun to fit your frame better. I sport a Brigade, and love it. But they are all good like that.

Then again, you could go BP/w. :)

another zeagle vote here (zeagle tech for me) or bpw - ive been super happy with both products

cheers

I'm a big guy also at 6'1 260lbs and did the same research on here that you are doing. The BC's I would suggest are the Zeagle (Ranger or Tech) or the Seasoft Pro. The Zeagle is modular so you can match large shoulder straps with the XL cummerbund/waist straps etc. The Seasoft Pro has a patented sizing adjustment which can be set-up to fit anybody from 220lbs to 470lbs. This would be a good choice if you fluctuate in size.

A lot depends on how you dive and what you want out of your BC. I ended up going with the Zeagle Tech because I liked the fit and features of the BC and it was the right choice for what I need in a BC.

Another option is going with a back plate & wing set-up (bp/w). If you do a search there is an abundance of info on this board about it.

SeaSoft Scuba Products

Heavy Duty BCs Zeagle Systems - Scuba Diving Equipment Manufacturer

I would suggest the Back plate and wing route...Deep sea supply makes back plates in large and extra long patterns to fit Big guys.

I thought you were big......at 6'5" 350 I tried dozens of jacket bcd's and have settled on a BP/W it amounted to ordering a couple feet more webbing. I also liked the Diverite Transpac II in XXL. But when I compared prices I got a Golem Gear BP/W for just over $300 and it's adjustbale even when I shrink to your size...lol!

I am 6'2" and 300 lbs. I have the xxl transpac harness and have alot of room to spare. I also dive a back plate and web harness for doubles. If singles is your choice of diving I would go with the transpac. It is much more comfortable. I used to dive a sherwood avid xxl. It was ok but the weight pockets add alot of grith in the front. If you look around you can get a used transpac for about $100.

Thanks for the advice! Now I can at least start looking without wasting so much time. I appreciate the feedback.

For Zeagle sizing (which is fairly custom because you can get the various parts in different sizes), the best place to check is ScubaToys.

They sell LOTS of Zeagle BCs, so they have the sizing experience and the stock to make a "Franken-Zeagle" to fit you without any additional delay.

Back
Top Bottom