Daphne, Alabama Search & Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Everyone in Deep Dixie South Alabama area.

My community serving Mother went to a fund raiser last week and met a group called the Daphne Search and Rescue Squad. My lovely well meaning mother told them that her equally lovely daughter was a world class diver from the south Alabama area. (Rule 1- Mothers lie about their children's ability)

Anyway this group is looking for individuals who want to dive as volunteers. Here is what they say...

Primarily, Daphne Search & Rescue fills the necessary gap that was left when the Coast Guard no longer serviced the entirety of Mobile Bay. DSAR serves an area of the bay and delta waterways. DSAR has come to the aid of virtually every local law enforcement and fire department agency in the area. Responding to such diverse emergencies as airplane crashes, auto accidents and retrievals, lost child searches.

Their qualifications are quite basic. If you are 21 years or older, have a true desire to help others, and are willing to volunteer your time in an exciting and rewarding pursuit. They have members from every walk of life: EMTs, doctors, retirees, divers, pilots, police officers, etc.

If you would like to volunteer call Captain Ronny Champion at 583-9602.

Do you know whether or not they supply gear? I'm a poor boy, I can't just hop into any ole contaminated sludge hole with my recreational gear that will get eaten away.

I don't know but I'll bet Chas at Underwater Works does. He knows everybody and I think this group may do business with him. Matt, You would be great at this type of stuff. I don't think I could handle the bad stuff. I'll stick to taking pictures of fish and collecting easter eggs (fishing weights)

Mat, that'd be right up your alley (provided you can get some chem-resisant gear).

I'll talk to Chas to see if he knows, wouldn't mind helping out, but not at the cost of my gear(I don't care if that makes me selfish).

They DON'T supply gear. I know quite a few of these Guys. Good Guys.

SuPR ,

In response to your question. DSAR does supply gear for each of our divers as well as advanced training for those that join and become active with the team. We are always looking for new members especially goal oriented divers that work well in team settings.

At current, our divers are supplied with AGA Positive Pressure Full Face Masks, Appropriate Environmentally Sealed Regulator, Viking Dry Suit and new BC sets ( nearly universal in size) are on the way.

If you have any questions or would like to attend a meeting or training.... Shoot me an email @ tacman55@aol.com.....

Joshua Gibbs
Dive Lt.
Daphne Search and Rescue

Im pretty sure Gary's right. They do supply gear but I dont think its for individual divers. What I understand the gear they have is very nice but I think its limited to who is disignated to use at the time of the SAR case to use it...Pretty cool gig but it not for everyone. It would perfect for someone like Matt who is use to diving in low vis. Keep in mind who you might have to be recovering.........

Hey guys how far north do they come? I am in lower montgomery county and would be interested in helping out or at elast joining a team that is closer to my location if any body knows of such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom