So many choices, so much confusion...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moeronn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm still pretty much a beginning diver with <15 dives, but have my advanced cert. I also have a nice dSLR for topside shooting (canon 30d); however, I don't think I'm ready dive experience-wise or financially to sink a ton of money into the UW housing for the dSLR.

The G9 seems to get a lot of great reviews and the idea of having RAW would be great, but I don't want to get something that expensive that I will likely only use for 1 or 2 more years.

Bottom line is I'm looking for a decent, albiet fairly inexpensive, underwater camera setup. I pretty much want to keep the camera and housing costs minimal but am willing to spend a few extra dollars on the strobe. Right now I'm leaning toward the Canon A720 with Canon housing, but have not really looked into the strobes much.

I've read other threads on the Canon A720 and it seems adequate for my immediate needs. Any other comments and/or suggestsions for other cameras, canon vs Ike housing and strobe suggestions?

Thanks for any and all info.

Canon A720 is a good one. Or look at the A570 with housing for under $300.

Strobes, I'd go with Inon. Spend now and you won't need to change, no matter what you do really. Check out the Sticky for some suggestions on where to shop for strobes and other bits :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom