SPG leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rustman

Reaction score
I just got a new OMS SPG from LeisurePro.

There was some green/blue scale (I presume it is corrosion) inside the bore leading into the gauge. I cleaned it as best I could with a pipe cleaner and then assembled the unit.

There is a very small leak (a tiny bubble every few seconds). Is this normal / acceptable?

How can I fix it? Do I need to send it back for a replacement?

rustman once bubbled...
I just got a new OMS SPG from LeisurePro.

There was some green/blue scale (I presume it is corrosion) inside the bore leading into the gauge. I cleaned it as best I could with a pipe cleaner and then assembled the unit.

There is a very small leak (a tiny bubble every few seconds). Is this normal / acceptable?

How can I fix it? Do I need to send it back for a replacement?

The green/blue scale is brass oxidation.My gauge came the same way.I cleaned it up and it has worked great since.

Did you install the spindle thingy with the two o-rings with a little bit of lube.The spindle thingy is what allows the gauge to rotate on the hose.

lal7176 once bubbled...

The green/blue scale is brass oxidation.My gauge came the same way.I cleaned it up and it has worked great since.

Did you install the spindle thingy with the two o-rings with a little bit of lube.The spindle thingy is what allows the gauge to rotate on the hose.
That "thingy" is an air spool...and if you didn't install that the thing is gonna leak...was it in the package? You could also take it apart, take the air spool out (carefully...and then get a paper clip to fish out the little o-ring that came off and is now up inside the gauge :D ), lightly lube the o-rings, and then put it back together...it shouldn't leak after that.

My Scubapro was the same way, it eventually started streaming bubbles. The best thing to do is remove the o-rings and lower the gauge into hot vinegar. Be careful not to let the vinegar get up into the gauge, and hold it there for a couple of minutes. Check on it every minute or so until its good. Mine had become really bad, but is fine now. when you put the o-rings back on, make sure to lube them some. Good luck.

-M

edit: let me clarify, this is if the corrosion is pretty bad, if not, just lubing the o-rings should suffice.

Check the tiny o rings on the spool(the little part between the guage and the hose fitting.) Use a little lube on the o rings. Your LDS should have replacement o rings if you need them. Actually, just go get some o rings, they are good to have for when you get the eventual leak from that fitting. It's a no brainer to repair yourself.

lal7176 once bubbled...

Thanks for the proper terminology on the thingy.I couldnt for the life of me remember what it was called :D
Only reason I knew is that I posted that question here a while back... :D

Actually, it's a high pressure spindle...At least that's what SP calls it.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
Actually, it's a high pressure spindle...At least that's what SP calls it.
We all know they know nothing about making dive equipment...

:hiding:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom