BP & Wing videos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaymal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I do apologize if this is the wrong forum.

Are there any videos showing how to thread a Hogarthian harness, adjusting one and putting one on when in a wetsuit. I have found a couple of pictorial instructions and I am sure those are fine once I actually buy one but I was hoping to see it in action before going ahead with the purchase.

Thanks!

Jeremy

I do apologize if this is the wrong forum.

Are there any videos showing how to thread a Hogarthian harness, adjusting one and putting one on when in a wetsuit. I have found a couple of pictorial instructions and I am sure those are fine once I actually buy one but I was hoping to see it in action before going ahead with the purchase.

Thanks!

Jeremy

I'm not sure how a video of threading a harness would help. Threading is much better communicated with a step by step set of photos, i.e. do this and it should look like this etc.

I just finished shooting some "how to videos" for a couple of subjects, and they hopefully will prove to be useful, but based on what I learned in that exercise I'm sticking with the "step by step" for the lacing info.

If you haven't yet seen it you can look here https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=instructions

Good luck,

Tobin

Thank Tobin,

When I buy...probably in April it will likely be from you. I have seen your instructions and your assembling and disassembly of the wing and backplate. What I am mostly interested in seeing how easy or difficult it is to put the backplate and wing on.

I have a Black Diamond and while I am for the most part happy with it, but it can be difficult to struggle into if the quick releases are not used. The hog has no quick release and so I am wondering how easy it is to put on without the shoulder straps being looser than you really want.

I haven't really dived (or when I did, I didn't pay attention to their gear) with people with a bp/wing and so haven't really seen how easy/difficult it is put on.

I've been looking on youtube but with not much success.

Jeremy

Thank Tobin,

When I buy...probably in April it will likely be from you. I have seen your instructions and your assembling and disassembly of the wing and backplate. What I am mostly interested in seeing how easy or difficult it is to put the backplate and wing on.

You only put it on once, after that you want to wear it everywhere:wink:

Seriously now, donning and doffing could be a worthwhile subject for the next round of videos.

If I can only get my web guy to hurry up and convert the current batch to flash and get them up on our site.

Tobin

I must admit to being surprised at people's problems with donning a bp/w rig. While doing my research before buying one I read that many people end up doing contortions and something called 'the chicken wing' to get in and out of one.

Now that I have my sticky paws on my own rig, I haven't had any difficulty whatsoever. I have had my shoulders straps multiple sizes, from loose enough to get my arms out even when the waist strap is closed to the recommended 2 or 3 finger looseness and I've never noticed any special technique being needed.

I put it on the same way that I did my old jacket BCD: first right arm in, swing it onto my back then in goes the left.

Maybe it is unique to my physiology and most people do struggle because they are shaped differently to me, but I didn't notice any difficulty getting into my hog rig. *shrugs*

I find getting into a BP/W with a wetsuit to be no challenge at all.

Getting in with a drysuit and dry glove rings can be more of an issue.

I haven't try the bp/w with my dry suit and dry glove rings yet, but the dozen times I had it on and off while setting the rig up I found it to be very easy to get on and off. My scubapro back inflate bc is a real pain in the butt to get on and off even in street clothes with out using the quick releases. Must be why they put them on there. I was very suprised how easy the bp/w is to setup and use.

Why bother with a donning and doffing video for BP&Ws?

Certainly not because it's tricky or difficult. As many have stated here already it's not hard to do.

It is a little different from some more commonly used BC's. There are a few tips that will shorten the learning curve.

The best reason to make such a video is to demonstrate to those considering a BP&W, and who lack first hand contact with a current user, that donning and doffing is NOT a big deal.

Tobin

The only reason I asked about videos was because I am considering a BP & Wing and lack first hand contact with one.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom