Avoid Peace River Campground at ALL costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I heard first hand from our crew what happened at the Peace River Campground this past weekend and I am HORRIFIED. I think it's IMPORTANT that we tell the story underneath this thread for ALL to see. That they would be so money hungry as to deny a group to eat together is beyond me. This is a vacation from hell in so many ways.

So please, let me hear YOUR side of this, and we will be inviting Peace River Campground to come read your comments.

The short story is it seemed to me as if the Peace River Campground ground staff this year was more or less consistantly rude and uninviting. This started with the setting of the deposit which mysteriously doubled to the time we left. The fact that one of its staff members attempted to compare PRCG to Disney nearly had me lose my composure even though he daringly stepped into my personal space in direct challenge. Regardless, with the exception of a few ladies in the front office and the couple who did the cooking in the mess hall the rest of the staff gave the impression they were bouncers or corrections officers at a rowdy prison, not employed at what presents itself as a 'fun' campground.

Peace River Campground is just not what it used to be. We have supported them multiple years and always had a great time.
However this year I have NOTHING good to say about the way they are running things now. We had around 20 members there and I'm sure everyone has a story to tell about how they were rudely treat, over chagered, threaten or just felt like they were an inmate rather than a guest. To say we should go to jail for trying to attend a group dinner is just ABSURD. When they told us to leave and then we weren't going fast enough or stalling, you could fry an egg on my head. The place has turned into a police state IMO. We were camping in the primative are but never felt BIG BROTHER was not watching.

They even gave the kids a hard time. They were not driving the golf cart right LOL even when I was on it with them. Oh did I metion the kids 7 or 8 years old driving ATVs by themseleves all over the place which they did nothing about.

They will get whats coming to them with staff like that its only a matter of time.

Avoid Peace River Campground at ALL costs

First off I am holding my Peace River Campground reciept and on it it say's and I quote:

Notice To Guest
This property is privately owned. We reserve the right torefuse service to anyone and will not be responsible for accidents or injury to our guests or for loss of money or valuables of any kind. Disruptive guest will be removed without refund.
The Management.
I agree to read and comply with all campground rules and regulations as posted in the office and /or on the grounds.
X _____________________________________ than we sign by the X

Our site # W2 Date In 03/07/08 Date Out 03/09/08

1 adult 2 children (8) and (10) Camping Fee $10
ADD'L persons $20
Nights 2
Sub -Total $60
This bill was paid in full with my CC

First off this balance is wrong but the gracious person that I am, I did not say anything to you about it. I paid it and went on.

On my arrival and check in you had a new woman working for you as I was told later, who had no idea how to give me directions to my campsite to meet up with the Conch Group. All she said was it's way in the back maybe you can call someone who will come and get you. So I spend the next 20 min riding around trying not to bother our group and I got in kind of late and had no idea if they were all ready for bed. I did end up calling and getting help to my campsite.
Sat after our fossil hunt around 3pm I enter Peace River Campgrounds stop off to rent a golfcart for the remainder of the day. I asked the woman may I rent a golf cart she says yes I tell her I would like to rent it for the remainder of the day, she said we only rent them by the hour I said ok may I rent it for the rest of the day, she again say's we only rent them by the hour or by the day. I ask her once again can I rent it for the rest of the day, at this point I realize I am getting no where with this woman so I said yes I would like to rent the golf cart for the hour AT that point she say's to me at the end of the hour you can rent it again if you would like. This woman should have never been allowed to be behind the desk is what I am thinking at this point. I pay for the cart Give her my D/L and off I go. About 30 min had gone by the men in the red hats come by and say the kids are not driving the golf carts the way they should as he is telling us this a 4yr old goes riding by on his golf cart and he said nothing to him, all weekend we had kids with no helmets ATV's, Golf Carts, Dirt Bikes riding around our campsite but we have 8 ,10 and 13 yr olds being very carefull and taking care of your equipment and not playing in the mud like the rest of them. And a adult with them. When time for the cart to go back I take it back in time for the lady to ask me would you like to rent it for another hour I say no becasue it takes at least 15 min to get back up to the front because they only go 5 miles per hour if that.
We head back to camp and we are being watched by the red hats once again wondering what now. We get back to camp to find out that because we invited a guest for dinner who was in the Conch Group (just not able to spend the night) was not allowed to stay and not only did you have them leave but the camper who asked them if they would like to have dinner before they made that long trip back to their home pack up and leave as well. ( and by the way she is with child and was hungry)
Not only did you ask the camper that had already paid for their weekend leave you gave them 20 min to pack up everything, these where the same people that made the dinner for everyone that night so everything they had was on the fire and hot. (pots pans the extra grill to keep food warm. You made such a big deal out of nothing and brought not one but 4 red hats to sit and watch them pack up and yell time at them as if they were not moving fast enough for them. The way they were treated was wrong very wrong and I will never ever send or go back to your campsite again and if I can speard the word around the world I will.
Futher more with the price I paid for camping this past weekend it should have been enough money for them to be able to stay and eat dinner with us.
Our group rate was $4 per child per night and $10 per adult per night so for 2 nights it should have only come up to $36 but my bill came up to $60 I have my reciept/ car tag to prove this....... and I paid by credit card
So I believe there was enough money from the error that your office staff made ($24) which would have paid for both their stays for the entire night at $10 per night per person.... But all they wanted was to have dinner with us and than leave.
Sat night:
We have the red hats coming by our tents all the time looking into our campsite which I thought to be very rude and disturbing.
Sun:
We are all packing and here they come again watching us like we are really going to take a tree or bush, I am not sure what that was about but I found very disturbing to be watched like that.

This was my first time at your campgrounds and will be my last.

Rebecca Reisinger
Florida Keys

You know, whats tough is the Peace River Campground "wilderness" camping is actually the ATV track that some of us are unwittingly camping in. This past weekend it started at 7AM and went well past dark since some had lights, very very very few of those rolling around were adults, and of those who weren't adults driving around, I counted 2 that were wearing helmets. One group of kids had the audacity to ride circles around our kids on Sunday - one particular ATV was a full size model with the kid standing on the footpegs (to short to sit) and had our kids rounded up to a tree as he did circles around them until I hollered at him to move off.

I'm not renting a spot on the ATV track anymore.

Well first of all, from the confusion at the Peace River Campground check in as the price, they didn't know the price off the top of their heads, it took three of them to decide on the price for my stay for 2 adults and 2 kids under 13. then the trouble we had Saturday evening, as a result of their inability to charge a hourly rate much less let someone come on the grounds to eat with people without charging them is beyond me, I mean you have people living there for months on end, and I am sure they have visitors to their campers and don't have to pay for a all night stay. and the comments from the head Nazi saying that, "EVERYONE" must pay when they enter the property no matter what they are there for. Confused me alittle. I have seen people come into the dance hall and have breakfast with people staying there and then leave, and they didn't have to register and pay, and we have even done this and never had to pay for the other half of the group to come and meet us there. His response was that doesn't happen but he also wanted the names of the people that did. Yeah right, Like I was going to rat the rest of the group out even if it was in years past. He said he wasn't aware of it and I told him that maybe if he spent more time up front watching maybe he would have seen it instead of bugging us.

To the Peace River Camp Grounds Nazi bouncers in their red shirts, driving their modified golfcarts that look like something from the Junk Yard Wars episodes on TV. The attitudes we recieved from the Peace River Camp Ground during the confrontation, to the RUDE comments one old man made to us and to myself, and the supervisor not standing up for the customer and saying I'm sorry that you have a problem with one of my employees, but rather sit on his arse smiling like he's totally oblivious to whats being said. he just smiles and kinda laughs at it. I personally was waiting to get the boot as well, I kinda half expected him to tell me if I didn't like it to leave... he's damn lucky he didn't try that....... I would have had the local PoPo and the news crews camping on their front porch.

I tried to explain the problems we had with the Staff at the Peace River Camp Grounds and to the time frame they specified, and the reply I got was didn't you hear him say over the radio that he said 20 minutes,,,, To which my reply too both of em was, I don't listen to your radion chatter, and its not MY responsibility to listen to it, if it was ya'll would have issued me one so I would know what was being said, and what ya'll were doing.

The fact that they constantly kept riding by the site all night and checking to make sure no EXTRA vehicles reappeared was starting to tick me off.

Then Sunday morning when Kris and I left to go and get the trailer for COlins broken toy, she stopped in the office to let them know that we had a broken vehicle and were going to get a trailer and would be coming back shortly to get it, tells her to stop back in to get another pass. IE pay for an additional day. NOT...

We were so hoping that we wouldn't get stopped on the way back into the Peace River Camp Grounds that I was cussing everytime the trailer would rattle, I was sure they were going to do something, so we got back to the site and finished loading my truck as fast as we could, so we could get the hell out of there before we got charged for an extra day....

I won't be staying at the PEace River Camp Grounds ever again, My family has been using Peace River Camp Grounds for well over 20 years and this is the first time we have EVER had a problem with anyone, over anything. they have always been very curtious to us and even offered more than they needed to, this year was different, other than saying that your group is staying out here and to follow this road to this trail and they are back there someplace, you'll find em.

thats about all I dare write at this hour without using words that would violate the TOS and make me a MOD.. LOL

I think the Canoe Outpost would be a better place than this or just staying at Brown Park, minus the alchohol, is a better place then going back to the Peace River Camp Grounds.....

But the one gentleman that stopped by sunday morning to ask if we had any trash to take up that he would take it for us was about the only NICE thing these people did for us. He even took a wallet I found up to the main office that belonged to someone named Giovani, I mean this wallet had some of its contents scattered on the trail by the campsite. He was the only TRUE gentleman and he wasn't one of the ones from the previous night.

OMG I forgot about that and almost hit Jennifers boy as he stepped out, Mike even yelled don't come back threw here your going ot hit someone. And I could not believe it when they turned around and came back threw like they had not a care in the world. :shakehead: Where was the Peace River Campground people when you really needed them!!!

It's a shame when you treat your customers so badly that they feel COMPELLED to talk about the BAD camping at Peace River Campground.

You know, whats tough is the Peace River Campground "wilderness" camping is actually the ATV track that some of us are unwittingly camping in. This past weekend it started at 7AM and went well past dark since some had lights, very very very few of those rolling around were adults, and of those who weren't adults driving around, I counted 2 that were wearing helmets. One group of kids had the audacity to ride circles around our kids on Sunday - one particular ATV was a full size model with the kid standing on the footpegs (to short to sit) and had our kids rounded up to a tree as he did circles around them until I hollered at him to move off.

I'm not renting a spot on the ATV track anymore.

Oh don't forget about the kids driving the Blue Go-Kart:dork2: forcing the kids into the back of the porto-potties at the Peace River Campground,and then sitting there preventing the kids from backing up and being able to drive away from them. and then too them trying to Drag Race the golf cart our kids were on.:11:

This area Nice as it was was nothing but a hazard for our kids as no one respected the 9 1/2 MPH rules set forth on the trees so high you can't see them unless your standing up in Colins jeep with his high beams on....:rofl3:

So please, let me hear YOUR side of this, and we will be inviting Peace River Campground to come read your comments.

Might want to have a translator for them, at the Peace River Camp Grounds... I don't think they would understand any of this, as was case sat night....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom