Wing Recommendation for Double 85's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolrose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any recommendations for a wing for use with double 85's? I use a Halcyon donut shaped 30lb wing for singles diving and am very happy with it, so unless there's a good reason to change to a different shape, I'd go with a donut wing for doubles too. I'd like something relatively streamlined because it's for cave diving mostly, so the less drag the better. I'll be using it with either a 7MM suit or eventually a drysuit. With the 7MM, I don't need any additional weight other than the tanks and can light. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I use a Deep Sea Supply lcd 50 # wing for double 85's, 95's, and 72's. Enough lift for all of these yet nice and streamlined. I don't own a 7mil. I use a trilam drysuit for cold water. With the 85's and my can light with the steel plate I need no extra weight. The grommets for the DSS wings are standard 11 inch centers so it should fit any plate you have unless it's a weird one. All the DSS wings are cut slim. If you want a donut stle look at their Torus wings. They come in 57#, 49#, 42# and 38# for doubles. I go with the 42 or 49 for double 85's depending on your other requirements. I like the 50 lb lift my self for my doubles but you may be good with the 42.

The use of a wetsuit vs. drysuit will be a big factor. There is plenty of info on this. As a matter of fact I think there is a sticky in the BC forum about calculating wing size. Tobin (coolhardware) has done a good write-up on this several times. Basically, the wing needs to be able to lift the weight of the gas in the cylinders plus the bouyancy of the exposure suit (drysuit- you have to plan for a full flood, wetsuit for sqeeze). This is assuming a balanced rig. If you are heavy to begin with, add that weight as well. If you are planning to go dry and are cave diving (bottles and stages) I think a 50lb wing would be sufficient for your 85's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom