Spring recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BNow0707

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
OK i need help from all you L.A. (lower alabama) and FL panhandler's. My spring break runs from April 12th to the 20th but because on the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd I have major exit exams that require passing for me to graduate.:umnik: Therefore I need to study, study, study, before the tests. :read: :book2: :1book: Anyways point being i won't make it to vortex springfest but i do want to dive some on spring break probably the 12th and 13th.

So finally the question other than Vortex what are the good spring diving sites in the panhandle. I know of vortex and morrison's but i've never been to either. I've been to Merritt's Mill pond but never dived it. I have a small boat that could be used if needed for access to the mill pond or morrison's or other spring. Just looking for a couple sites to look into diving. So any suggestions.

Take your boat out to Cypress. Its a beautiful spring, IMO the nicest OW basin in Florida, very colorfull, lots of life. It even has a nice little cavern that doesn't silt up - just don't go too far in.

With a boat, you could dive the OW poritions of some of the mill pond caves. I would definately suggest not going in, as they are not OW friendly caves. Tight, extremely silty, and very unforgiving... The Mill Pond itself is typically spring water clear with lots of fishlife(bass, bream, carp, crawfish), turtles, ect. As an OW diver, I spent the day out there in OW having a ton of fun.

Morrison won't require a boat as long as the park opens up by then(doubtfull). There is a dirt launch a couple hundred yards down the run, but finding it may take a bit of time. I've found the dirt roads out there run all over the place criss-crossing each other without signs. Many of the roads are posted no tresspassing. Some aren't though...

Vortex won't flood, they have pumps to prevent the creek from backing into the spring. The OW section isn't as natural looking as other sites, but its worth a visit regardless. Its got a little cavern as well, just stay out of the cave and don't let the christmas tree lights temp you in there.

Next question are there any camping sites primitive or with electrical that are decent rates in the area? Doesn't have to be anywhere near the springs just within driving distance. Everyone i've found in the panhandle wants about $20 a night. The cheapest was at a state park and it was still $12 a night. The ones around here are usually $3 or $5 a night.

Vortex has camping there but I am not sure the cost, but it is probably in the ball park or more than the state parks that you quoted...

Morrison is a neat place to dive. It was Clear as can be when I was there back in Oct. there is some major changes happening there now if you check the boards and comments from people on the place.

Next question are there any camping sites primitive or with electrical that are decent rates in the area? Doesn't have to be anywhere near the springs just within driving distance. Everyone i've found in the panhandle wants about $20 a night. The cheapest was at a state park and it was still $12 a night. The ones around here are usually $3 or $5 a night.

If the weather looks to cooperate, sleep in your vehicle :D

Thats what im planning on right now, we'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the help.

Home914.jpg

All the cool kids or doing it.

What Mat also didn't mention is sleep at the rest areas along the highway. They have armed security at night so no worries.

Unfortunately the camping in Florida is quite a bit more than in a lot of other places. I'm also used to paying less than $10/night in Arizona. I believe Vortex charges around $18/night. The state parks are usually the cheapest. So far the cheapest camping I've found was $10/night, but it wasn't in the area you're looking at. Most of us will be at the Spring Mega Dive at Ginnie springs the weekend you're looking to dive. Camping is $18/night there, plus a $28 entry fee per day to dive. I may be sleeping in my van that night. I'm just not sure where. Or being that it's me and my wife, I'll pay an extra $4 and get a hotel room in town. $36 just seems like a lot for a spot on the ground.

BTW, I'll let you know that nursing is not just a woman's career field. There are a lot of men in the field now. Yes, we are a minority, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. :wink: I work ICU and ER and those areas tend to have more male nurses than the other areas. I've actually worked shifts where there were no female nurses working. Good luck with your studies. And if you happen to decide to head down to Ginnie Springs, let us know.

Yeah, in our class of about 104 there are about 9 guys. I really like nursing and im supposed to graduate this may thats why this trip is up in the air right now, my class finals and class exit exams are the week after the trip. We had our ER and ICU clinical rotations this semester and I can honestly say thats where I have felt the most comfortable and at home so far in this two year program. After passing I planning on working in one of those areas for awhile.

Not sure if we will make it down that far this time but after lookin at their webiste we will definately be makin a trip this summer.

Well let me know when you head to the panhandle. I live less than an hour from Vortex and Morrison. I also live 10 minutes from Merritt's Mill Pond.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom