Underwater Camera Housing:- How to prevent flooding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going diving at Key Largo
in a few weeks and I have bought myself a Canon Ixus 75 and a Canon Housing so I can use the camera under water. I have pressure tested the case in five inches of water in the bath. I hope on Saturday to go swimming and carry out a further test by holding my breath diving down in the deep end, pressing all the buttons and checking for leaks.

I am very nervous about trusting my shiny new camera to a plastic case even if it is made by Canon.
Does any one have any tips on how to avoid flooding or any horror stories so that I can be alert to any danger signs?

don't worry so much, a light coating on the o-ring, check the seal for debris and you'll be fine. I've not done anything special for my housing in 2 years and had no problems. You'll be fine if you just use common sense and follow the basic guidelines. Have fun and enjoy your photos!

It's pretty easy with a housing like that - just one o-ring to worry about. No need to worry about ports, cables...

As suggest, check the o-ring and make sure it's clean, clean out the groove for the oring with a cue tip/cotton bud/whatever they call it in your neck of the woods, and a small amount of the grease should do the trick :)

Z..

Good advise above.
Remember - orings do not need grease to seal. The grease is there to lube the rubber so it doesn't get squeezed or distorted when closing the seal. Too much grease can cause leaks, and can also attract fine pieces of hair and dust which may cause leaks. Only a teeny amount of grease.

It's also a good idea to make sure your battery is charged up the night before, and your memory card empty. Close up the housing when you have plenty of time the night before or during a SI. Try to avoid a hurried battery or memory card change just before a dive.

After the dive, dunk it in a clean wash tub. Preferably one marked for cameras only. Give it a swirl around and push all the buttons and move all the dials two or three times in fresh water.

Camera housings and o-rings are as reliable as your care of them. A bit of common sense and you won't have any problems.

I have a couple of rules for my housing. After the Orings are properly lubed and installed I carefully inspect the entire Oring mating surface with a magnifying glass. I never open a housing in an unclean enviroment, boat or beach. The only place I will open to set up the housing is in my room unless there is a pressing need to do so....like a housing with signs of water inside. Once the housing has been in saltwater, keep the housing wet until you have a chance to soak it in clean water in your room. I carry a large plastic bag with a wet Tshirt inside to transport the housing between the boat and the room. Be careful not to allow the housing to set in the sun, it will get very hot inside if you do.

Thanks for the replies so far. They are all very helpful . The bag with a wet tea shirt is something I had not thought of. Another use for one of my dive tea shirts!

AAAAccckkkk! I always lube the O-rings and make sure things are dry but meticulous is one thing, anal is another.
I have almost 800 dives on this housing and just common sense will make sure things are OK.

Another way to keep the housing wet till you can rinse it is to store it in a soft 6-pack cooler. Also useful for transporting the camera on the boat, vehicle etc.

Bring back some pics !!!!

Like others have said, use good common sense, keep it clean and dry before the dive, rinse well after. Watch for hair, small fibers or other debris on the o-ring before sealing. Rinse it in the boat’s camera tank but don’t leave it in there floating and bobbing along.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom