"My" impressions regarding switching to DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeeman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I did it, got a nice 2nd hand setup from a fellow SB member, and this is what "I" think...

It's a Canon 400D with an Ike housing, I'm currently using an Inon D2000W and an Inon Z240, with 10 bar arms.

Let's start bad.

IT'S FREAKING SO HEAVY!!!

And, it takes up a heap of space. I have never been over limit with my luggage before, or struggling for space, even when I have gone skiing in North America or Europe,with my skis, boots, poles, clothes, I've always been a good 3 or 4kg under.

Not anymore

Flying back from the Philippines with what I thought was bare minimum (2/3mm wetsuit, alum backplate, Oxycheq 30lbs wing, Zeagle regs AND camera gear, along with a few shirts, shorts, socks etc, had me 2kg over with my main bag, and about 6kg over with my carry on (What? Put my lenses in my check in bag - are you INSANE? Do you know how much that stuff costs?). Anyway, I'm now in the process of finding a thinner wetsuit, lighter aluminium backplate, an 18lbs Oxycheq wing... you get the idea.

Lens choice - choose wisely, young padawan, for you can not change underwater...

That'll mostly cover the bad...

The good...

Viewfinder - the 400D has a small (for a DSLR) viewfinder. Let me just say, the first 20 minutes of the first dive with the 100mm macro lens were hell. I was starting to consider how much I could get for all this stuff on ebay. I couldn't find anything in the viewfinder, I couldn't frame shots - I missed my 2.5 inch LCD live view!!!

But I stuck with it, I decided that I was not going to be beaten. Sure, my eyesight sucks, and I wasn't wearing contacts, so all is not lost - my contacts ought to help. Then it happened. There is was, a purple fan, and there were Pygmy Sea horses on it. I'd tried before, but never quite managed to shoot one, even with live view. I just couldn't find/see the little suckers.

The first minute or so was hell, I was spraying and praying. then I took a lung full of 21%, realised I was becoming too buoyant, exhaled and focused - I looked through the viewfinder at where the DM had pointed, half pressed the button.. AND LOOK!!! There is a tiny little thing in the viewfinder, I can see it, it looks different! SNAP!!!! Got the little sucker - sure, it was out of focus, and it'll never be published, but I got it! The clarity of the viewfinder actually helped, even if it is small, it is clear, I can see more detail! I took a few more, some of them were almost in focus, one or 2 are worth saving!

Anyway, here's one, it's not great, but it's the first I've ever taken (unashamedly cropped)

pigmy.jpg

Anyway, once you get the hang of it, I don't think it is possible to go back to live view. 320x200 pixels on 2.5 inches does not compare to the near infinite resolution of the human eye (even a poor example of one).

Speed - the focus and image saving is so fast - it just locks on and you keep clicking.

Image Quality and lenses - Once you get something in proper focus, the images are that step above a P&S. I loved shooting with my A640 - it taught me manual control, and I shot some good (for me) shots with it. Some really good ones even. But the 400D really is a step up - especially with the 100mm Macro...

RAW - is wonderful. I shoot only RAW now, it really helps bring back those shots you would otherwise just trash.

Anyway, originally I was thinking of a 40D or even a D300 at one stage, luckily, I got the 400D, and now realise "I" need to improve before better electronics start making a difference.

Anyway, a couple more samples. Not great, but very good for me :)

orangepymysm.jpg

chipstersm.jpg

Z...

great capture of the denise pygmy seahorse Zee! now you're making me look at the dark side even though i just bought wet lenses for my pns.

I love your "choose wisely..." so true!! I just switched a few months ago, and your post sums it up for me, as well. To think, I actually thought I was spending a ridiculous amount of $ on my PnS setup.

As I said to the young woman from whom I purchased my used dSLR setup, "Don'tcha just love the combination of underwater phtography and impulse purchasing?"

Traveling at the end of the month - I think I can fit everything into LowePro backpack and roll-aboard Storm Case...fingers crossed.

Love your diver shot!!!

I have just started using my 60mm lens that I've had for about a year. Wow, what a revelation! With a Woody, I find it better than my trusty 100mm. Choose wisely is good advice...

I have just started using my 60mm lens that I've had for about a year. Wow, what a revelation! With a Woody, I find it better than my trusty 100mm. Choose wisely is good advice...

OMG, me too - 50 mm macro and a flip-up Macro Mate??? The best combo ever.

OMG, me too - 50 mm macro and a flip-up Macro Mate??? The best combo ever.

Hehehehee - I been sayin' it :wink:

Perversely, I've just put the 100 on again and will start playing with that some more (until I can't stand it and go back to the 60)

Oh no... I need more lenses...
It never ends :D :D :D

Happy shopping!

Why do you need to dive tropics with a backplate and a wing?
BC's are much lighter.

My wife and I went to little cayman with 2 full sets of gear, cloths, my DLSR and her P&S.
All with in the 65 lbs per person weight limits. We also had a laptop and other stuff.

There are ways to pack and not be overweight. One suggestion, so far I have not had an airline weigh ME, cargo paints! The really fat person still gets there 65 lbs baggage and they weigh 100 lbs more than me. So I pack on some of the heavy stuff in my pockets. Going through the checkpoints suck "empty your pockets sir" yeah right.

Oh no... I need more lenses...

Zee,

I or one of the other HKers can get you a sigma 50mm macro for $260 - 270 if that helps.

Also, any chance of posting / emailing me the macro-shots that were taken by your "dive buddy" on that trip?

You, know, the guy whose flat you stayed at, who got you drunk and sold you loads of underwater camera equipment? C'mon, you remember, the guy who chucked a woody diopter on the port to help fill the frame? Y'know, the silly bugger who managed to change his 100mm macro to Manual focus on the same dive? You know who I'm talking about...me.:D

Edit, I do like this one: -

orangepymysm.jpg

and then you had to go spoil it with a snap of Chip...

chipstersm.jpg

:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom