Diving for bodies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
I'm curious...do any of you dive for bodies
either as volunteers or for pay? In Michigan
people are always going thru the ice in snomobiles
and I wonder who pulls them out.

my next door neighbor does.

He does this in two formats:

1) He is a rescue diver for the Canadian Coast Guard who often is called to dive for bodies in this capacity.

2) He freelances as a body recovery diver doing body searches for the family when no body has been recovered and the "official" search has been called off. He will continue the search grids etc. looking to find the body directly reporting to the family.

In Michigan, most of the towing operators in the resort towns know of ice divers who will recover a car or a snowmobile that has gone thru the ice...

The gal in the next office told me her neighbor put his 4 wheeler through the ice of the small lake they live on into about 5 feet of water. The diver had to go in after it, remove the blade and the hook up the cable to get the rig out. Total bill was $800!!!! Fines from the DNR start 24 hours after you go through the ice if the vehicle is not recovered and are VERY STEEP.

I could use a little of that once I get certified to dive through the ice.....

I have a couple of friends that are part of a dive team.One works for an ambulance company and the other is part of a sherriffs dive team.After hearing their stories especially if there is suspected foul play it is not a job i would want.Diving in zero vis water feeling for dead bodies would be rather spooky.

The local rescue divers in the area are all "volunteers" and spend a good amount of time MUD DIVING for weapons or bodies in the Saginaw River. Not high on my list of places to dive. Even in the driest part of the summer, the vis is less than a foot. Last fellow I spoke to said that when he last worked in the Saginaw River, he could place his hand on the lens of his mask and not see it....

I'm in full support of the folks that want to perform this wonderful service, but won't be volunteering myself anytime soon.

In the cave diving community rescues and recoveries are done by the IUCRR (www.iucrr.org). This is an international group. We were most recently involved in the incident down in the Bahamas with the 2 divers that never showed back up.

I don't like nor am I trained for black water diving, I assist our dive team with surface support. I've been present when bodies have been recoved from the water, I don't want to bump into one underwater. Glad there are those that can do that job.

I havn't been asked yet, nor would I like to. I have recovered a number of snowmobiles though. By the time they hit shore they were dead ! But you won't count them I'll bet.......
Wreck/Tec

I know some members of the local sheriff's dive team who are sometimes charged with this responsibility. Mostly looking for guns and such, though.

Not a fun job, as I've heard they've come across plenty of bodies that fish have had a pick at. I know some of the 'old school' guys who used to dive in the conditions you described except contaminated water (especially in the Orlando area :wink:) without a FFM or drysuit.......YUCK!

I'm on the list up here for "extras" if the Dive team needs more people. Was called to look for a little boy who vanished in a river north of here, but I was out of town at the time. Not sure if thats a blessing in disguise or not.....

Willer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom