Why it irks me that I have DEPP insurance....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vetdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So, I have DAN equipment insurance right now, but I have been wanting to switch to DEPP ever since I made the switch to dSLR - I really like the whole "drop overboard and it's covered" aspect, and I am also a fan of the fact that you can CHOOSE what is insured against flooding. I like having my drysuit insured against theft/loss, for instance, but not so sure that I am too interested in flood insurance for it!

So maybe 2 months ago, I call them. I speak with a woman who lets me know what needs to be done to set my policy up. I do what is asked, fax everything in, and nothing. Days go by. Weeks - more than 2 - go by. An upcoming trip is approaching, and I am starting to panic. I call them and leave messages, about 4 over a period of a week. I hear back NOTHING. I do not receive any phone calls back (as requested), no emails (yes, I do check my junk email), faxes...nada.

I finally - after a month of WAITING - call DAN and update my insurance with them, even though I really wanted to switch to DEPP.

Yesterday, I get home from work, and awaiting me in my mailbox? You guessed it. My insurance policy from DEPP. I immediately call them, explain the situation, and ask to have the flood premium refunded - everything else, I decide to keep for now - at least a few things will be covered if they get dropped. The woman I spoke to (who shall remain nameless) insisted that they had emailed me the policy twice - they certainly had not, as I was anxiously been waiting for it!!

Then the kicker. She tried to tell me that my DAN policy wouldn't cover any floods that occur outside of the US - I believe the exact statement is, your stuff will not be covered for international travel. Unless the DAN insurance website is completely incorrect, THAT is an out-and-out lie. From their website:

Territorial Limits – We will cover property wherever located (worldwide).

Sadly, I still want DEPP insurance....at least now I have a small policy so that I can alter it to add everything I want in the future....

Don't bother with DEPP.
I had it for 2 years and they had no problem charging my credit card to renew my policy. But when I accidentally dropped my camera in the backyard busting the LCD screen (camera still worked fine but crack all the way across the viewing area sucked) I notified them. This was in Nov. They said fill out paperwork and send in, which I did. Well, to make a long story short.......... I never got my payment until around March. They didn't answer phones or e-mails for weeks. Then I got one e-mail saying "oh, paperwork was lost, could you resubmit the whole thing?" So I did it, then no answers again. Then I got the "lady" who said she turned in the paperwork and was told that a check was mailed, nada. So we had to do it all again. Yes, it took until March to get my measely $200 check for repairs. Oh yeah, and the policy was renewed by them in January, charged on my credit card by them........all the while not answering a single e-mail or phone call and "losing" my paperwork. Yeah, right!

We cancelled the policy last year with DEPP and now have a floater policy with out home-owners insurance company. It costs half the price and they will answer my calls. :D

robin

I've had good experiences with DEPP, which I've carried for several years. I recently had a dive computer go bad on me and they've been responsive and cooperative.

We cancelled the policy last year with DEPP and now have a floater policy with out home-owners insurance company. It costs half the price and they will answer my calls.

That was my suspicion about how DEPP would handle a claim...I have always assumed I'd pay for the repair/replacement, and wait forever for the $, which admittedly stinks... I had heard DAN was a bit better about getting the $ to you, and they are easy to get into contact with...

I just really don't like being lied to - and I do not appreciate being treated like I am at best - uninformed - and at worst - incapable of understanding what I've purchased (especially when it was purchased because DEPP didn't call me back for a month).

I inquired about this with our homeowners policy (State Farm), but I had heard horror stories about people's premiums going sky-high after a claim... The State Farm woman I spoke to asked me about the policy I have now, and she recommended not to go with a personal article policy. Does anyone here have any experience with this?

We dive a LOT locally - multiple times a week when the marine forecast looks good. I will be making a claim at some point...

Darn, here we are revisiting a subject that has been discussed ad nauseum. You can PM me...

Not to hijack, but someone recommended h2oinsurance.com to me. Does anyone have experience with them?

Thanks!

Not to hijack, but someone recommended h2oinsurance.com to me. Does anyone have experience with them?

Thanks!

That's DAN's insurance - it's actually run by another company.

I've had good experiences with DEPP, which I've carried for several years. I recently had a dive computer go bad on me and they've been responsive and cooperative.

That's because they don't want to mess with Dr. Bill!! :wink:

I really need to get something like this...I've flooded 2 different cameras and housings over the last couple years. I've always just bought new ones. It's always quite painful!!

I would just stay with DAN if you can't get a separate ins policy. Our is with USAA and they had no problem covering all photo/video gear, even for flood.

I really think DEPP is a scam company. They give some people no problems and pay off claims, others have nothing BUT problems. I have heard some people say that DEPP canceled their policy after a flood, too. So what's the point? Their website gives the whole Song and Dance - "its not of matter of if, its a matter of when". Yeah, and when it happens they pay and cancel you. My claim wasn't even that big and they treated me like crap. Lies, lies, and more lies. I was very forgiving after the first round of excuses.... after that I was angry, especially when they went ahead and renewed my policy without settling the whole claim first. I never would have renewed if I had known and it would have been an even break $$$$.

Sorry for the rant.

I would just stay with DAN if you can't get a separate ins policy. Our is with USAA and they had no problem covering all photo/video gear, even for flood.

Hmmm... I have my auto with USAA and they are great. Maybe I ought to contact them about this.

Well, I was told that I could GET insurance through my homeowners policy, but that if there was a claim (read: when!), the premium would likely increase so much that it would be outrageous. That may be the only time someone at my insurance company ever told me not to buy something!! I guess it might be different if it were just gear, but with my behemoth camera (that I bought used - still ridiculous!!!), it is just a matter of time until I have a claim...I don't want to set myself up for this sort of scenario.

I have a friend who has made 2 claims with DEPP with no hassles, though it took a while each time. I hadn't heard about them not paying out claims before, Robin! I don't mind the rant - my first post is just a rant!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom