Help me pick the right size bcd...please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Syd7890

Registered
Reaction score
When looking for the proper size bcd, what should be the most important consideration. Here is the size chart of the bcd that I'm looking at:DiveAeris.com - Scuba Gear, Scuba Equipment and Dive Gear
My measurements (in my 7mm) are:
chest:47''
waist: 41''
my weight without my wetsuit is 180 lbs
my height is 5'8''

I feel like most of my measurements fit best in the large catagory, but at only 5'8'', my height is way off. I'm worried about the back of my head hitting againt the back of the 1st stage set-up. I've had this problem with some large non-weight integrated rentals before, although I'm not sure if a weight integrated bcd reduces the tendency of a bcd shifting up like that. And sometimes size mediums seem a little too snug. As you can see, I'm confused. Any input would be greatly appreciated...Thanks guys!

Maybe you should look into a component based system, so that you can mix sizes to get a proper fit...

:wink:

What's a component based system??..TIA.....btw, my wife loves my Scout, do they come in pink???...lol....

I am the same size as you "Syd" minus a couple inches in the waist....A large Zeagle Ranger fits like a glove.
Good luck

I believe the most of the Zeagles are component. Tell you wife, they make the Zeagle Zena with a pink front piece. I personally love purple and they have a purple front piece.

purple sounds great, any gold trim by chance???
IMG_1053005_edited-1.jpg
...............maybe can match our 'LSU booties'...........lol.......

Maybe you should look into a component based system, so that you can mix sizes to get a proper fit...

:wink:
What is a component based system...is this somethng that is incorporated into the Zeagle line?

If you can, go to a LDS and try some on. I was going to go with a Large Oceanic Hera (that is what my body measurements called for), but when I got to the shop and started trying on and seeing that the cummerbund is adjustable AND the shoulder straps are also adjustable, I was actually more comfortable in a Medium!!! This a great for me since most of my every day clothing is a XL or XXL! I never thought I would be in a medium ANYTHING, but it fits like it was made for me.

In saying all that, my friend tried one on in her size (small) and didn't like the fit, she actually liked the fit of the Oceanic Islander in a small. So, just because a BC "fits" your size, does not necessarily mean it "fits" YOU. I hate the way the Sherwood Luna fits me, even in "my size".

Also, consider if it's a jacket or back inflate and how that is going to affect "inflated" size. A back inflate doesn't tend to have the "squeeze" that a jacket does, and that may affect the feel and fit.

AND.. do you have a long or a short torso? It might be for a 6 footer or so, but if you are 5'8" with a long torso, then it may be fine...

In conclusion... if you can, go try them on.

What is a component based system...is this somethng that is incorporated into the Zeagle line?

Most Zeagle BCs are component based. This means that you can have the vest be one size, the shoulder section be another size, and the waist panels can adjust as well.

This helps a "short and wide" person, or a "tall and thin" person achieve a custome fit.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is go to a dealer and try on a few different styles and brands...then pick the one that is right for you!

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom