Question: Diver found in Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foreign rebreather guy who was pushing a lead sidemount past the Hinkel for exploration. He was diving solo. There is a thread in the cave diving section. TDS and CDF have more informative threads, but still just basic information. The recovery team has not released a report yet, so no reason to speculate.

SBM,

What do you mean by "lead sidemount?" I read that on TDS and didn't quite understand.

Thanks!

Danny

SBM,

What do you mean by "lead sidemount?" I read that on TDS and didn't quite understand.

Thanks!

Danny

Pushing a lead, while diving sidemount. Two separate things, not "lead sidemount"--that's whats confusing you.

Pushing a lead: exploring new areas, a "lead," a passage he expected to go somewhere, where there was no line laid already.

Diving sidemount: diving with tanks carried under the arms instead of mounted on the back, to decrease the vertical height of the diver, to allow the diver to penetrate in areas not even tall enough for a diver with a tank on his back to enter.

Yep, tight passage with the potential for going further into the cave. He succeeded/attempted(?) to explore it in a sidemount rig which was necessary to access farther.

I cannot confirm any of the above, its just whats posted on the other threads concerning this divers death.

Ok, thanks guys. I did a little more research last night and understood the "lead" thing. Now I want to know....I thought they said this guy was on CCR?

Hey guys - please forgive my ignorance, but why would someone - new to this area apparently - do a lead dive, sidemount, alone and with no buddy.

I'm not a cave diver, and am ignorant about this type of diving, but just wondered what would possess one to do something like that.

He wasn't new to the area.

I have read reports that he was on CCR AND had a side-mount kit? Can anyone clarify?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom