Diving from Sharm in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkhaight

Reaction score
We are planning on a trip to Jordan (to see the sights) and Sharm (to dive) in May 09. We had a dive trip to the Red Sea in Oct 2000. We stayed in Hurghada and watched visability go down from marginal to negligable over the 6 days of diving. One of the divemasters said it was caused by the waters mixing which happens roughly twice a year in the Spring and Fall. Is this true? I have not seen it mentioned anyplace else. I would hate to plan another trip to the Red Sea and have it happen again.

Also, how cool is the water off of Sharm in mid-May? I try to wear as little neoprene as possible, and really prefer temperatures of 27+, but realize those are summer temperatures, and that will not be the best time to see Jordan, so will agree to a 3 mil suit. Will that do?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the board.

How exactly did the visibility became negligible? Did the water turn to be milky? If it's water mixing, then most probably you experienced reverse winds (coming from south to north, which is the opposite of what normally happens). These winds cause sand to raise. And yes, it happened in Hurghada in spring before, not sure about fall though.

Reverse winds are unpredictable but Sharm is totally different than Hurghada; deeper sites with steep walls. Most probably you won't experience such case in May.

Expect sea temperatures of 24-25. Your thermal protection is your preference.

Dear bkhaight

I am sure that the water turned Milhy. This happen mainly in spring never saw it in fall. I experienced diving in this visibility in Red Sea around 4 times in Sharm El Sheikh. It was during occasionaly in March and April. But never happened with me in May.
The temp in May is around 25C, as Red Sea Shadow said
Your thermal protection is your preference.
Wish you a happy vacation and dive safe.

If you have any futher questions, please don't hesitat to contact me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom