Advanced certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Happy Shark

Reaction score
My instructur told me,i had to dive 12 times before i get the advanced certification.
Is that right?

Happy Shark,

Do you think that's too lenient or too restrictive? I guess it depends on your definition of "advanced".

I also believe it depends on the certifying agency. But IMHO I wouldn't consider anyone with 12 dives "advanced" regardless of what their instructor tells them.

Jimbo

Happy Shark,

When I got my OW certification back in '95, my instructor urged everyone to get their advanced right away. I felt then that I needed to get some experience and log some dives before going for my advanced. I wanted to truely be advanced when I finished the class instead of having a card that said I was and not feel like I was. After logging 40 or 50 dives I took the class. To me, my advanced certification was a waste. I didn't learn anything in the class and was very eager for the knowledge. I had already experienced everything they discussed in the advanced class. I would say it depends on the instructor and the agency you are going with.

Ldreamin

Happy Shark

I went through a similar dilemma - how soon after OW should you go AOW?

Check out this thread which was my own query on the matter:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=1472

The general consensus is that you should do the Advanced when you feel you are personally ready for it, which, for the average person, should mean logging more than 12 dives.... It's up to you.

Having said that, I've only logged 13 dives myself and am starting my Advanced this weekend, but will do it over an extended period of time with extra dives logged in between. I expect to be up to about 25 by the time I actually certify. That's my preference.

I've also noticed that some instructors can be quick to get their students to go Advanced because of the money factor, so you should really think carefully about what your instructor has said, and whether you are ready to do the course yourself before committing to anything. That's MHO.

Good luck!
:)

We (SSI) require 24 dives and four specialties for an advanced certification. We will issue a "Specialty Diver" card with two specialties for those who want a card beyond Open Water before they have completed the 24 required dives.
Rick

I think Ldreamin's post is interesting and I've heard that complaint before. In my opinion the instructor should challenge the student at whatever level they have attained.
It takes some imagination, however, and some agencies don't allow for much deviation from the course standards. There is an instructor out there who will teach you what you want to know, just ask them for specifics on the course content. Some may even teach you what you want to know outside of any formal course. Good luck.

Neil

I would personally recommend more.It takes a while even after OW to get comfortable in the water.Advanced deals with navigation,deep diving and these are possibly more stressful.You can't be worried about niggly things while your doing this,so get used to your gear,learn some of your limits and then go on.I say wait until 25 dives.It's your choice.
Cheers Big Ears,
The Gasman

Experience is probably our best teacher, but up front you want to learn the RIGHT techniques. It's much easier to learn the right way to do something than it is to unlearn the wrong way. Ask any golfer!

I think we get hung up on the "Advanced" tag a bit. The primary skill you want to work on is your buoyancy. You should also be familiar with your gear - including using your gauges and compass. Once you're comfortable with these I'd say you're ready.

"Had to dive 12 times" -- as you can already tell from the previous posts technically, the number of dives, and qualification you need to gain the "advanced" label depends on the agency you deal with.

The prequesits are there as a guideline - as a minimum requirement. Follow your agency's guidelines, but temper it with how you feel. Just because they say 12 dives (or what ever) don't go for the qualification until you are ready

I suppose it depends on the certifying agency. NAUI's "Advanced" cert seems designed simply to get the student in the water with an instructor, and perform more sophisticated tasks (navigation, lift bag deployment, etc.)

The problem is the word "advanced"... people seem to get hung up on it.

Perhaps "extended" or "continuing" would be more appropriate. Or maybe "OW II"

Bill

Back
Top Bottom