Venice shark tooth dive report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syntaxerrorsix

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Afternoon all, my buddy and I scrapped together our gear and headed down to Venice, FL. for an impromptu tooth hunt today. With the weather we have had conditions were expected to be partly to mostly crappy, and they were :)

Started out our first dive with near 0 vis for a 30 minute "warm up". Water temp was 67F and comfortable in a 3mil with a light chop building. We found 18FSW and started our search. Within the first 10 minutes the "team" was separated, upon surfacing we decided to finish the first dive in the same ocean and continued on. Buddy found one small sand tiger tooth and I busted.

Second dive for 60 mins. We decided to weight the flag and stay within a reasonable radius (buddy was flagless and received much grief) as there was no way we were going to accomplish anything as a team. Vis cleaned up slightly to say oh 3-6" I found 2 ST and buddy nothing.

Got to get into the water and chew up some gas and enjoy a day at the beach. Ran into another SB member "Dig" IIRCC and his family on our way to the truck to stow gear, we both wished him luck hoping he would do better than we did. By the time we were pulling out the chop had built some and "Dig" was down under, so with any luck there will be a continuation upon his return.

Hope you got to dive this weekend!

Do much hunting with a buddy line?

I think it may be good idea if there was any real depth involved with such low vis. I suppose any other discussion should be left on the solo diver threads. Are you hand holding your Jon line?

Me and my dive buddy use the flag line as a buddy line. I am hooked up to the flag with my reel and he is clipped to the line. If he needs more line I give it to him. This allows us to look for teeth and still stay near each other and if needed, we can find each other quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom