Late report (again) of 3-12-08 Panama City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PatMyGreen

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
Wednesday I took a few friends out on the "Spear Em Deep", a project boat I have about finished up that I am planning on using for my 6 pack charters. We were pretty much just leisurely cruising around checking old hard bottom numbers and letting some of the guys get some more experience and knock the salt off. First stop was the Tarpon a true shipwreck that always produces good fish and usually some shovelnose lobster. It was alittle chilly at 45* when we got rolling in the morning but it warmed up nicely and seas were less than 2' all day. When we got out to the site the vis looked alittle greener than we were hoping to see on the surface but turned out to get better as we descended, say around 25'.

Ryan and I and Stuart and Brad were on this dive and we all boated grouper. The fish were pretty thick and there were numerous 20-35# gags that stayed just out of range in the sand as we shot the ones that wanted to get shot instead. Red snapper were HUGE and seemed to delight in almost bumping into us as they swarmed the wreck. Ryan managed to find some shovelnose under some of the wreck but those were the only ones we got all day. This is definitely my favorite wreck inshore and it didn't disappoint this time either.

From there we just bounced around on some cheesy hard bottom numbers until everyone had their fill of bottom time. It was another great day on the water with some good friends right up until we got to the pass and I lost an engine! Turns out the tanks are filthy and clogged the fuel filer when some of the varnish broke free, easy enough to fix but crappy timing as we were closing in on spring break central traffic with a dredge and jetties on either side.:11:

Attachments

• Deeprs.jpg
    Deeprs.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Blue Steelrs.jpg
    Blue Steelrs.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Bradrs.jpg
    Bradrs.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Bradrs2.jpg
    Bradrs2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 21
  • BradSheepy rs.jpg
    BradSheepy rs.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 24
  • From abovers.jpg
    From abovers.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 26
  • PatRedGrouperrs.jpg
    PatRedGrouperrs.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Ryan2grouperrs.jpg
    Ryan2grouperrs.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Ryan2lobsrs.jpg
    Ryan2lobsrs.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 22
I left out the most important part, the water is warming up nicely! Last trip was 59* while this trip was 63*. I'm guessing 3 weeks until we start seeing 70* from here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom