Help me plan my road trip to Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My son (12) and I are planning a road trip from MI to florida in the second week of June. What must stop to dive sites should we hit along I75? Easy, no surf, shore entry or short gentle boat dives preferred. We probably end at Key Largo.

Drive to Columbus Ohio International Airport, take Skybus to Ft. Lauderdale (2 hour 15 min. flight), rent a car at the airport and two hours to Key Largo.

Drive to Columbus Ohio International Airport, take Skybus to Ft. Lauderdale (2 hour 15 min. flight), rent a car at the airport and two hours to Key Largo.

Geez, or drive to detroit metro (30 minute ride), take spirit or NW direct flight (2.5 to 3.5 hrs) for less than $200 round trip, and 2 hours to Key Largo.

The drive will cost more in gas, but it is for educational purpose, geography, nature, and the fun of being on a road trip. Also you can pack your tanks, gears, and wetsuit, and jump into any puddles you like along the way.

Gotta do it before gas hit $5 a gallon!

There are lots of springs you could hop in on your way down. One of my favorites is Blue Grotto in Williston, about 20 minutes off of I-75. It's a favorite because 1.it was my first spring, and 2.if you go on the weekends there's a guy selling BBQ sandwiches that are fantastic.

Shore dive in Fort Lauderdale, any place else is a short boat ride on the east coast. lot of wrecks in Ft. Lauderdale area and of course the Grove in Key Largo a mast do.

Stop & do some shark tooth hunting in Venice on your way by.

I would take the opportunity to stop off above Gainseville and dive at Ginnie Springs. You can get airfills there, and there are several springs that are nice OW dives. You can spend the day, or a few hours. There is a cavern that the management allows OW divers to dive in, but that might be a little more than you and your son are ready for. Or maybe not. If you only stop at one place to dive in the springs, this would be your best choice.

As dkramer mentioned, Venice Beach is another place that would definitely be worth stopping at. Easy shore diving, hunting for shark's teeth.

All of the above are great dives. I will also throw the Spanish Rocks into the list. It's in Bradenton about 10 miles off of the intestate. Easy shore entry and right down the road from a nice little dive shop. It's only about 20' deep but there is a lot of life on it. It is a dive worth doing for sure.

That would be what I would do. The money you would save would be enough for many dives here. Shore Dive in Ft. Lauderdale and come to the Key's for Reef Dives. Just remember every stop you make to do a dive is a one day affair plus a hotel and more driving to your next stop. I would skip the road trip and enjoy Ft. Lauderdale and the Key's.

It sounds like Ft. Lauderdale has some easy entry shore diving? If the surf is low, how much current do you expect? Not too much, I don't expect if you stay shallow, right?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom