Oxycheque Mach V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chappy

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Gang,

I've recently purchased the Mach V to replace my DR Rec wing for diving single tank. I'm going on vacation next week (Turks and Caicos) and was wondering if this wing will be adequate.

Here's my set-up:
DR Trans Plate Harness- 1lb
DR Steel Plate - 6lbs
DR STA - 1lb
SP Cam Straps - 1lb
DR Slimline Can light - 1lb
Photo Rig - 6lbs

I'm planning on diving a full 3mm suit with an Al 80.
oh yeah, I'm 6' and ~200lbs.

Thanks for your input.

Chappy

I dive the Oxycheq Mach V Extreme 30 lb. wing, and based on my experience you should have more than enough lift and surface support. Remember, everything you listed will weigh less in the water anyway. You didn't mention how much lead weight you'll be carrying, but the closer you are to being neutrally buoyant, the better off you'll be as you probably know. My guess is that you wouldn't need much weight with that setup, especially with a 3mm wet suit.

You are going to love that wing!

My basic singles "modern" rig is:

OxyCheq Mach V 30 pound
Simple standard Hog harness
Pacific Marine Freedom Plate II
Dive Rite metal cambands
Dive Rite STA

If diving a aluminum 80 then I use an old camband with 4 to 6 pounds on it for a tank trim weight. In a 5 MM Rubatex traditional suit with vest under I still need about 8 pounds on my belt. In a cheapo 3 MM I am not using any weight on a belt, I can jettison the weight on the tank however. With a steel LP Faber 85 then I don't seem to need any weight including the trim weights.

N

My basic singles "modern" rig is:

OxyCheq Mach V 30 pound
Simple standard Hog harness
Pacific Marine Freedom Plate II
Dive Rite metal cambands
Dive Rite STA

If diving a aluminum 80 then I use an old camband with 4 to 6 pounds on it for a tank trim weight. In a 5 MM Rubatex traditional suit with vest under I still need about 8 pounds on my belt. In a cheapo 3 MM I am not using any weight on a belt, I can jettison the weight on the tank however. With a steel LP Faber 85 then I don't seem to need any weight including the trim weights.

N

Nemrod....how do you jettison your tank trim weights? My trim weights are high up on my tank in XS Scuba trim pockets.

I'm a little surprised that as a Dive Con you have to ask this question! :D

With your setup, I'd not hesitate to dive a Steel 120 if you so choose! 30lbs of lift is more than adequate for most single tank setups. You could go with an 18lbs wing, and still be fine diving AL80's. Obviously different body types and setups need different lift. But we all Float! :eyebrow:

I'm guessing you will need little or no ditchable weight.

Nemrod....how do you jettison your tank trim weights? My trim weights are high up on my tank in XS Scuba trim pockets.

Sorry for confusing the issue. I call them trim weights but I am mostly trying to trim the cylinder. Aluminum 80s are light in the rear. I often wind up toward the end of the dive with a tank that wants to lift on the rear. I therefore place my four to six pound weights on an old camband just below my lower attach camband. I can easily reach back and pop the release, when I do so the "tank" weights will fall free. Sometimes I may have to give them a tug for them to fall immediantly if I am horizontal.

Take an aluminum 80, full, and toss it in the pool, while as a whole it is slightly negative you will see that the rear is light and the shoulder and valve are heavy. As air is consumed the rear becomes very bouyant even before the tank as a whole goes positive---am I confusing you? All I am doing is making the tank more neutral in both trim and bouyancy. There are tank weights that go under the boot but I generally don't like those because they are to far aft and I cannot jettison them.

N

Hey Gang,

Thanks for your input.

Chappy
I am almost the same except cold water.
6' 225lb
Dive Rite: Transplate, SS BP, STA, SS Cam Bands.
Oxycheq Mach V Extreme 40lb
9/7/6mm Tri-thickness wetsuit
Steel HP100 or HP130 tank

The (32lb actual lift) Mach V will be more than enough and very streamline. Have a nice vacation. Wish I could do the same.

...Take an aluminum 80, full, and toss it in the pool, while as a whole it is slightly negative you will see that the rear is light and the shoulder and valve are heavy. As air is consumed the rear becomes very bouyant even before the tank as a whole goes positive---am I confusing you? All I am doing is making the tank more neutral in both trim and bouyancy. There are tank weights that go under the boot but I generally don't like those because they are to far aft and I cannot jettison them.
N
I dove a C80 for a while, for that very reason... seemed to trim better (has a thicker bottom). Problem was getting a consistent 3300psi fill... (Switched to HP 100s... at least, at 3000psi, I still get 89 cu.ft.!). Got rid of the trim weights altogether...

Hey Gang,

I've recently purchased the Mach V to replace my DR Rec wing for diving single tank. I'm going on vacation next week (Turks and Caicos) and was wondering if this wing will be adequate.

Here's my set-up:
DR Trans Plate Harness- 1lb
DR Steel Plate - 6lbs
DR STA - 1lb
SP Cam Straps - 1lb
DR Slimline Can light - 1lb
Photo Rig - 6lbs

Thanks for your input.

Chappy
In salt, with a 3mm suit, with your rig, and an AL80, you're probably positive anyway 'til you get to significant depth to compress the suit... 30lb. Mach V will be more than enough...

Enjoy the Turks and Caicos!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom