Travel Wing with Steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig Winnerman

Contributor
Reaction score
I am about to purchase a Transpac with Travel Wing. I dive with Faber 112 Steel Tanks (singles). Summer no wet suit and winter 7mm SemiDry or 5mm. I have seen that the Travel wing is only rated to a 95 steel tank on some literature. Will the 30lb lift be enough?

I have been diving heavy weighted for spearfishing and trying to offset the too much lift in my current BC. Currently have a Zeagle Ranger and hate it. Not streamlined and very hard to get air out. I will roll to get a better shot at a fish and start assending from trapped air.

I am about to purchase a Transpac with Travel Wing. I dive with Faber 112 Steel Tanks (singles). Summer no wet suit and winter 7mm SemiDry or 5mm. I have seen that the Travel wing is only rated to a 95 steel tank on some literature. Will the 30lb lift be enough?

I have been diving heavy weighted for spearfishing and trying to offset the too much lift in my current BC. Currently have a Zeagle Ranger and hate it. Not streamlined and very hard to get air out. I will roll to get a better shot at a fish and start assending from trapped air.

Hi Craig,
Good question. The Travel Wing will not be enough lift for your Faber 112, especially in the summer without a wetsuit.

I believe you would be quite happy with our Venture Wing which has 45 pounds of lift and is designed for steel tanks. While the lift is comparable to your current BC, due to the streamlined design you will not experience the issue of trapped air.

If you would like to speak more about it please don't hesitate to give us a call 386 752 1087.

Best,
Ag

Thanks for the reply. The steel 112's are new to me. They have around -10lb. at the start. During the summer with no suit and an AL80 I wear 6 -8 lbs. of weight. That is only 18lbs. max and my gun is pretty neutral boyant. There will also be less padding in the Transpac to have to offset with weights. Any catch I can control the bouncy while on the stringer. It seems like 30lb should be enough. I am seeking to be as streamlines as possible with the least amount of lift needed. The elastic on the Travel Wing with the donought shape still seems to be the perfect match. I have read some do not like the Venture due to the width at the bottom not being streamlined. I guess I better give a call.

Hi Craig,
Good question. The Travel Wing will not be enough lift for your Faber 112, especially in the summer without a wetsuit.

I believe you would be quite happy with our Venture Wing which has 45 pounds of lift and is designed for steel tanks. While the lift is comparable to your current BC, due to the streamlined design you will not experience the issue of trapped air.

If you would like to speak more about it please don't hesitate to give us a call 386 752 1087.

Best,
Ag

Ag,

Would you mind explaining why a wing with 30 lb of lift is not sufficient a single Fabers 112 in warm water?

That's Dive Rite being careful of litigation. My girlfriend and I have personally dove HP130's and LP120's with no exposure protection while using a travel wing.

To the OP, the Travel wing no longer comes with the elastic shell - it now has a nylon (non elastic) shell just like all of the other wings.

Tienuts,

Thanks for sharing your experience diving large steel tanks with the Travel wing and for the info on the wing now having a nylon shell as opposed to an elastic. Do you know how the 2 compare? The elastic shell is a major attraction to the travel wing. Would you recommed the newer nylon shell or buying an older elastic shell? Thanks in advance.

Craig

Yes - they made the change for a reason, the nylon shell is clearly superior. The elastic one was junk, and ripped and worn easily. The Travel wing is so small, you don't need an elastic shell -it is quite compact when not inflated.

Wow...... I just had to look at the DiveRite site to check!!!

I've been diving a 14 ltr steel tank for several years, with the Travel wing and a 5mm wetsuit. Now I read it's only supposed to handle 11 ltrs!!!! :11:

I dove an HP120 with 36# of lead on my belt and used a Transpac-style harness with a 28# travel wing for many years. Although the lift was just adequate, I saw no reason to replace the travel wing with one of my higher lift wings. Your mileage may vary. I'd guess most people would recommend a larger wing. I liked the travel wing because it is a donut and evacuates air much more easily so I can remain stable and film.

Hi Craig,
I'm not sure I understand how you would get more trapped air when you roll.
You would think that rolling might 'release' air. Is it from the air you are exhaling?
Maybe you are finning down a bit and then when you roll, you are finning up??

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom