Sitka diving in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flstarfish44

Contributor
Reaction score
My buddy and I are going to be headed up to Alaska (you're lucky you live that way, it's bee-you-tee-full there!) in early May, and planning on doing some drysuit diving out of Sitka. How is the viz up that way around that time? Just curious. I'm not worried about the temps, but hoping viz isn't too crummy.

TIA!! :)

I was there last week diving and it was supurb. Vis was over 50 feet and there was a lot of life to see. Talk to Brian Gundaker at Island Fever Diving (Diving, Snorkeling, Biking, and Hiking in Alaska) for diving and charters. He is always willing to take the Boat out.

Late April and most of May stinks vis wise. It's the peak of the spring bloom. I'm in Juneau and I know that Sitka clears up before we do so maybe it'll be decent. Brian is the guy to talk to over there.

Dave

Thanks very much to you both. Turns out I will be in Japan for the rest of April, so now it's looking like May 5th that we'll be dropping into Sitka as we head around Alaska. Maybe the viz won't suck too bad, but I'm going in no matter what. We'll be in contact with Island Fever prior to arrival, thanks for the help!!!!

:)

Back
Top Bottom