Oxycheq ss traveler bp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was thinking of getting a oxycheq ss travel bp. Has anyone tried this bp? can you give me any insight on how it works prose or cons thanks.

Ironically, I was looking at these today. I don't own one, but the design intrigues me. I cannot foresee any flaws with the design. Attaching battery canisters would be an issue. Underwater it should perform identically to a standard, full-size BP. Of course, you'd need to wear more lead, but that's kind of the point. Combine that with a small wing and you would have a nice warm-water travel rig.

That backplate is more or less a standard backplate with the sides cut out.

Given this it will perform just like a standard backplate except for the limitation mentioned above (mounting to the side and weight).

The weight change is the whole point and not being able to mount a canister/argon to the side of it is a repercussion of that change.

Mat.

Thanks for the help. I have never used a BP/W but thats what I want to start diving with. How does this work it goes BP then the wing then the STA then cam latch then tank correct? what I don't understand is the web sight says I don't need the STA. what will hold the tank firmly in place? I don't get that.

I recently bought one and have been trying it out over the last few weeks combined with an Oxycheq Mach V #30 wing and an Oxycheq comfort harness. I'm diving with a 3mm wetsuit and absolutely love the combination. The BP is comfortable both on surface walks and underwater, but having said that I have no need to hang much from it.

I moved from a traditional BC and found with this set up I can get a better trim in water attaining a horizontal position very easily, and even dropped a pound or two off my weightbelt.

Having said that the backplate I REALLY wanted was one of Erc's Freedom plates, but unfortunately he stopped making them at the time I was in the market for a backplate. Even worse, just after I bought my Oxycheq travel plate Eric has gone back into production with a new and improved design. Sods Law!!!

All in all I'm pleased with my Oxycheq travel plate.

To address you concerns with an STA I have to say that with the latest Oxycheq wing with the built in roll control device the tank lines up pretty well with the travel backplate, and there is no need for a seperate STA. I really like this setup.

I wanted to get a freedom plate. I PM Eric but never heard anything. I don't know how to get in contact with him. It's good to know that I don't need STA thanks.

I bought the Oxycheq travel plate and Mach V wing for my own needs but once my 12 year old daughter saw it she had to try it out, and she loved it. I think I might be buying a duplicate set up very soon.

I don't know what sort of harness you are after but the Oqycheq Comfort one is really nice. Sure you could go with a basic HOG harness, but I found the OC one to be really nice.

I wanted to get a freedom plate. I PM Eric but never heard anything. I don't know how to get in contact with him. It's good to know that I don't need STA thanks.

Check out the "Freedom Plate Poll" we are all having problems getting hold of Eric, Ive e-mailed him and PM him numerous times over the past two months and have heard nothing back, I guess hes given up and didnt think it necessary to tell anyone.:shakehead: Its a shame I think it was gonna be a big seller going by all the posts. I would still like to hear from Eric tho, theres been no recent alien abductions has there?

Thanks for the help. I have never used a BP/W but thats what I want to start diving with. How does this work it goes BP then the wing then the STA then cam latch then tank correct? what I don't understand is the web sight says I don't need the STA. what will hold the tank firmly in place? I don't get that.

The thing is that plates are designed for doubles and to put a single on them you have to do all sorts of tricks like an STA. Or, some wings have little stabilizing rods or pads in them. Some plates use some rubber crush pads of various designs and little rubber stopper thingies to hold the wing to the plate while swapping out tanks and all that fuss.

If using a STA, top to bottom:

tank
STA with cam bands through STA only
wing
plate

If not using a STA:

tank
wing
plate, cambands run through plate and wing and over crush pad below
rubber crush pad

Good luck.

N