Aqualung Pearl i3 and Pro qd with i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pkaquatics

Registered
Reaction score
Any input whether good, bad or indifferent about either of these for my wife and I? Also any feed back on the "air trim" functions of i3 or the Mares units would be helpful.

I really enjoy my Pro QD i3. The Pro QD is a very comfortable BC, with great pockets, many D-rings and usually great fit on the body (at least on me). I also like the i3 system - I feel it is more comfortable to use than the standard inflater. The dump valves are one way (and they really are, I never found water in the BC after a dive), and they dump simultaneously when you push the i3 lever (so you don't need to think too much about your position when you want to deflate).

As for the safety concerns of the i3:
- you can install a standard inflater and just forget the i3 (or why not, use both simultaneously as redundant devices :) ).
- the valves can be deflated manually pulling a wire if you really want.
- the i3 BC is equipped with an oral inflater

But the best answer is: just try one for yourself before buying.

I can only add to the positive findings regarding this BC. I own the ProQD i3 and couldn't be any happier. I did try on other jacket and back inflate BC's and came back to this one every time. I have about 34 dives all in Monterey.

I feel it's very easy to dive, especially the i3 which inflates and deflates in seconds, literally. There is no delay when you hit that lever.

Just to let you know, my wife dove the Pearl i3 at Nautalis in Concord and she felt very secure and comfortable in the pool. Aqualung was hosting and gave me a perspective on the pearl.

It's literally a BC built ground up by females, and when you see one up close you see all the adjustments they made for the female. The straps are fully adjustable like a bra that just shields the curves that women have. You therefore don't have the strap buckles laying on your bones.

We placed our order for one yesterday even though they are in backorder. I called Aqualung and they are producing more to keep up with their sales.

They are even donating money from each sale to the Breast Cancer society for females; now thats nice that they care enough to distribute their profits to great causes...

I would encourage you guys to dive one in a pool and see how truly comforatable they are...

MG

My only concern with the i3 system is that it's not "standard" equipment. In an emergency/rescue situation, I'm not sure I could control the i3 and keep a panicking diver away from it like I can with an inflator hose.

Otherwise, my standard answer about BCs is that when you find the one you like, can afford, and that fits you perfectly, you should go for it.

My only concern with the i3 system is that it's not "standard" equipment. In an emergency/rescue situation, I'm not sure I could control the i3 and keep a panicking diver away from it like I can with an inflator hose.
He makes a great point. I have a seaquest I3 and I make sure my dive party knows where my inflater/deflater valve is in the event of an emergency.

I will say I have had a few issues with it. For starters it is in the shop right now as it is leaking water into the bladder. I have also had a couple of issues with it inflating when I did not want it to. Example, I was at the ladder getting out and as I lifted my leg to take my fin off, my thigh pressed against the bottom of the BC, which bent up and pushed the inflater. Before I knew it my BC was completely inflated and was shoving me up into the rungs of the ladder. Consequently a couple hours later I realized my dive knife was missing. It must have hung up on the ladder and sheared the nylon screws off the BC. Really pissed me off.

On a positive note I like the ease of inflation on descent.

Bruce

hi im thinking of buying the pearl bc ,,,but i read tht a girl had trouble deflating hers..and said she had un controlled accent ...caused me some worry ...what do you think of this ...should i be concerned ..anyone out there thats used the pearl bc let me know if you like it thanks Susan

I own the Pro QD i3.

I think it would be harder to encounter a deflating/inflating problem, because, not like a button, you can force the lever back in the neutral position (it cannot remain stucked on inflate or deflate). Also, it is easier to disconnect the QD hose with one hand in case you need, because of it's fixed position, and the large rugged quick disconnect handle.

In any case, you still have the normal pull-wire deflate mechanism on the shoulder valve.

The only problem that I have encountered (and yet not found the best way to fix) is the small rubber dust cap, which is connected by a short wire. Sometimes, in water, it floats and enters under the lever, stopping me from pushing it up.. I usually try to put it arround the hose.

Yeah, these were my thoughts before buying an i3 so its important not only to carry out the correct buddy checks but also inform the people in your dive group when applicable.
However, if divers keep reading all these positive reports there will soon be plenty of i3's around as they catch on & become more popular!

Yeah, these were my thoughts before buying an i3 so its important not only to carry out the correct buddy checks but also inform the people in your dive group when applicable.
However, if divers keep reading all these positive reports there will soon be plenty of i3's around as they catch on & become more popular!

Ooooops!!

I just came home from a week-long dive trip where I used my Pearl i3 for the first time. The dump valve on the right shoulder was leaking air (brand new unit) and the dive shop at Coco View had never seen the i3 technology before. They are great people and even better technicians because they fixed the problem very quickly. I was told by them that the problem may occur again because of the way the valve is made. They suggested I have my dive shop at home where I purchased the BCtake a look and it and keep an eye out for recalls.
That said - I love the i3 technology. Nothing could be easier to use. I hope it catches on and continues to improve. The Pearl is very similar to the Diva I traded in - so not much change there.
I do not regret getting this BC. I absolutely love it! I just hope I don't have any more problems.
Barbara

Back
Top Bottom