Computer/watch for newbie divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michaelkuznet

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys-
i'm just looking for a computer/watch that will give me the very basics....calculate how much bottom time i've got, tell me how deep i've been, for how long....
basically i'm just too lazy to use the tables/wheel and my timex watch when doing shore diving. (and yes i know Timex tells you not to dive with their watches.....even though they are "water resistant" to 100meters.)
I dont even know where to start my research. Any ideas? CAn somebody tell me what i am actually looking for? Thanks!
MK

My vote is for a Uwatec Smart Pro. I love mine. Easy to read, more than enough to grow with, and seems to offer some more advanced functions. The only draw back is the price. I believe I paid $595 for mine a LDS.

hey-
popped into a dive shop, just to see what they had, etc.
Saw a couple of models, and cant remember the manufacturer off the top of my head, but i have it downstairs, i'm just too lazy to go at 12:30, i'll wake somebody up. i think it is suunto, but the models are
vyper
vytec
and
cobra
the sales lady made them sound great, and playing around with them was a ton of fun.......but has anybody out there ever even heard of these, and can you tell me if they are any good? they seem to be in our pricerange, seeing as how we're probably just buying one for the family first, to see how it goes- unless i dont know what i'm talking about and this is a major ripoff.....
soooo..... any input?
MK

Those are definitely Suunto computers. You should also check out the Suunto computers, specifically the samrt pro. Seems to be a little more on the cutting edge of dive comuter technology for only slighty more money than comparable Suunto computers.

http://www.uwatec.com/imperial/framem09.htm

Michael, Suunto is the ww leader for dive computers. You won't really go wrong with any of theirs. It's really a matter of personal preference and price range.

All the Suuntos are Nitrox compatible. If you're not certified for EAN, it won't matter, but one day, you'll be glad to have it.

The main features that you need to think about:

1. Wrist or console: Some don't care, some others prefer the wrist because of the trim.

2. Air integrated: Seems like a nice feature. Some will argue it makes the diver too passive.

3. Decompression model: not all the computers will give you the same results (NDLs, deco, etc...). Suunto is one of the more conservative.

I have the Stinger and really like it. There isn't a lot of differences among the Stinger, Mosquito, and Vyper, except the look and the price.

I would love to get the Vytec with the wireless pressure transmission (Suunto's high end model), but it's seriously expensive for what it is.

I would not recommend the Cobra because of the HP hose.

You'll find a lot of information of the board on all these models.

Hope this helps.

obviously, the dive shop was not giving me some really bogus deal...thanks for the responses
arnaud....about the air integration...you said that some will argue that it "makes the diver too passive" -- what do you mean by this? And could you explain more about what you mean with the Cobra? The evil saleslady threw so much terminology at me yesterday that i hardly remember what i was there for in the first place. :wacko:
Thanks!
MK

Check out this site they (in my opinion) have had some really good reviews.

Reviews

It may help to offer some insight on different features you are looking for.

michaelkuznet once bubbled...
obviously, the dive shop was not giving me some really bogus deal...thanks for the responses
arnaud....about the air integration...you said that some will argue that it "makes the diver too passive" -- what do you mean by this? And could you explain more about what you mean with the Cobra?

Regarding the AI: It's clear that computers in general take a lot of the guess work out of diving. Strike that. There shouldn't be any guess in diving. A good moto that you'll see a lot on the board is "Plan your dive and dive your plan". The problem is that a lot of divers let their computer basically dive for them. Why learn tables, have benchmarks, understand tissue saturation and deco theory when my "watch" tells me when it's time to go up? The AI computer makes it even easier. Not only does it show NDLs and needed deco stops, it calculates how much time you really have to spend in the water based on your air consumption. This may give some the impression that diving is somehow just as simple as snorkeling. It's not. If on top of that, your training consisted of a 2 day crash course, there's danger around the corner...

Regarding the Cobra: Unlike the Vytec that uses a transmitter attached to the high pressure port on your first stage (wireless), the Cobra uses a high pressure hose, like your gage for instance. Well, HP hoses are known to break (because of the high pressure...). In addition, it's one more thing hanging out of your body that can get stuck, damage corals, etc...

Don't hear me wrong. As I said, I'd love to get the Vytech. It's a terrific tool. But, it's just that...

Back
Top Bottom