http://www.diveheart.org/

My wife could use your prayers and good thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Many of you know of my wife, Denise, who has Muscular Dystrophy and is confined to a wheelchair. For the past several months she has been able to barely speak above a whisper due to a paralyzed left vocal cord. The reason for the paralyzation is undetermined. However there are treatments for this condition. One involves injecting a calcium based material into the cord to stiffen and move it over. This allows the cords to close and prevents food and liquids from going down the windpipe into the lungs which could lead to pneumonia. It also allows the patient to make sounds and in many cases restores the ability to be able to speak at a somewhat normal volume.

Yesterday morning (Monday 3/17) she had this procedure done. It seemed to go off as planned. The doctor was pleased with the result and everything seemed to be fine. Last night at she threw up and her mom thought it was just a result of some leftover anesthesia effects. Problem is it contiuned all night and she also started wheezing and had difficulty breathing. Around 2 AM her mom called an ambulance and took her to the ER. It was first thought that perhaps too much material had been injected. THey considered operating to remove some of it. THey then decided that perhaps it was a combination of post op swelling and the vomiting aggravating the area. So they gave her some steroids in order to try and bring the swelling down along with a lidocaine mist. She was still having difficulty so they took her to the OR to get a better look at what was going on. I was at work and her mom was keeping me abreast of all the developments.

Cut to tonite. Her mom came home for a few hours to clean up and take a short nap. They told her they were taking her to the OR to get a better look at what was going on and that she might as well go home for a couple hours since she wouldn't be able to see her for awhile anyway. THe doc called her and told her he could see nothing abnormal that would warrant removing material. But to assist her they were putting a little tube in to help her breathe. Her mom sometimes misunderstands things and told me when I got home what they did. Well we went to the hospital and walked in and found my wife fully sedated and on a ventilator. The little breathing tube was not helping her it was breathing for her due to the sedation. I'm upset. I was not expecting this. They are going to wean her off the meds and vent tomorrow. Hopefully everything goes ok. PLease keep her in your thoughts and prayers. If any of my good friends here read this please pass it on. Thanks . Jim Lapenta

Again her name is Denise Churney and she's at Montefiore Hospital in Pittsburgh. If anyone wants to know the reason for the different last names and other details let's just say that the only thing we don't have is a piece of paper that the law requires.

Oh Jim --

I'm so sorry -- I bet that was quite a shock for you.

I will keep you both in my prayers.

Hugs!

I'll keep her, you, and the doctors, in my thoughts a Prayers

Im sorry for your current situation. I wish you all the best.

I work in the or and tubes for sedated breathing are normal if they are waiting for the swelling to go down. It is a safety precaution. Usually only a minor setback. You and she are in my thoughts. Good luck.

We're with you Jim....Here's hoping all goes well.....Best thoughts, my friend!

:hugs:

thinking postive and healing thoughts to your wife and hope the family is being strong for eachother

wish i could do more...

Wishing the best for both of you

Jim, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Denise and your families. All the best, always. :pray:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom