PDA

View Full Version : Is 3 hours crazy?

fishi
March 19th, 2008, 08:22 AM
What is the longest ride you have taken in a car to go diving? And returned home the same day.

jupitermermaid
March 19th, 2008, 08:27 AM
What is the longest ride you have taken in a car to go diving? And returned home the same day.

I'm spoiled living in South Florida, so I don't travel too far for one day. However, I have a dive buddy from Jacksonville (about 4, 4 1/2 hours one way) who comes down here to dive for the day and goes home that evening. Others drive a couple hours one way and return home the same day. Guess it all depends on how good the dive is and if you don't mind the driving.

DivingPrincessE
March 19th, 2008, 08:28 AM
3 hours is pretty common for me. I drive three hours just to dive in a quarry with better visibility (Lake Rawlings and Dutch Springs)

Michael Schlink
March 19th, 2008, 08:45 AM
3 hours to the coast, no problem. 8 hrs to cave country requires at least one night spent there. Now if it were 5 I might just make the run.............

Hank658
March 19th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Two hours to Dutch Springs and back is almost routine. Going to try RI this spring. That's about 3 1/2 hrs. Don't yet know if the return trip wil be happening the same day..:D

bobcatdiver
March 19th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Living in the Great state of Ohio and the part of the State I live in I drive 2 hours one way to dive a COLD DARK quarry with 10 ft viz. A 3 hour drive to some good diving I would be all over it.

johnny_bravo
March 19th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Yup I've made the over 3 hour ride to Key Largo and back before...gruelling but worth it.

Cheers.

-J.-

b1draper
March 19th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Well here in Tallahassee, I'm about 30 minutes to a sink hole. I'm about an hour and fifteen minutes to the coast. I'm 2 hours to St. George or Panama City and 3 hours to Destin and I've been to them all.

The problem in our area is there's only a few charters. There's two in the St. Marks/St. George area. There's a couple in PC and Destin. So usually I'll drive the 2-3 hours pulling a boat. Then we'll take the boat out and get a couple dives and drive the 2-3 hours back.

GrumpyOldGuy
March 19th, 2008, 09:28 AM
2 hours each way is normal for me to do a couple of Saturday dives in Mass or Maine. I think at 3 hours I would consider diving fewer weekends but staying overnight and get 4-5 dives in.

Guba
March 19th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Over half my dives are at the end of three hour drives. The longest driving day was 8 hours (from my home to Balmorhea, Texas), did three dives and then drove back--all within the same 24 hour period!

I can get to Cozumel quicker.

parrottheaddiver
March 19th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Can do the normal 2+ hours to Dutch and back. Any more and the wife starts to get a little edgy about being in the vehicle, especially if I'm driving.

ClayJar
March 19th, 2008, 10:07 AM
My *shortest* seems to be 5 hours each way. It's not abnormal to do 6-, 8- or even 10-hour trips (each way) to get to diving, and I rarely stay overnight. Now, admittedly, if I get tired, I'll take a short refresher nap at a rest area, but that doesn't count, since it's short and it's still on the Interstate.

robint
March 19th, 2008, 10:18 AM
normally our drive is only 2 hours, but we dive all day and sometimes drive back home, sometimes stay overnight.

last summer we drove to LA, 12 hours each way, for just 2 days of diving. Yes, we stayed overnight on the boat. We will be doing the same thing again this summer most likely.

Kingpatzer
March 19th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I regularly do a 5 hour drive for two tank dives in Superior, then drive 5 hours back. I don't relish the drive, but it's worth it to me simply because I can't really afford to do those dives frequently if I have to pay for hotel as well.

Though lately I've taken to reserving a camp site at a state park and pitching a tent. That lets me get in more dives as well, and tent sites are pretty cheap at parks . . .

String
March 19th, 2008, 10:59 AM
3hrs is very low if its for both legs of the trip.

Usually here its 2hrs each way to the boats.

Did 5hrs each way last month just to dive an inland site.

The journey costs near 3x the cost of the dive factoring fuel.

dave4868
March 19th, 2008, 11:10 AM

My typical drive is about 2 1/2 hours each way.

For me, the dives have to be pretty special to drive more than 2 1/2 hours each way.

For diving day-trips, my longest drives were about 3 1/2 hours each way. Did that a couple of times.

As the logistical time, effort and expense increases, I find myself wanting to balance that with more time in the water, since I'm usually shore diving.

That can make for a very long day, but it's almost always worth it.... :D

Want to talk about crazy? Consider the people who not only drive a long way, but drag a boat with them.

I remember quite a few trips leaving in the dark and returning in the dark....Those had to be some special dives to make that effort....

Scallops.... :D

Dave C

DEEPLOU
March 19th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Lets see:
When home in LI, its 2 1/2 hr to Dutch Springs in the morning, and 3 1/2 for the return trip. To Brooklyn (Sheepshead Bay) its 1 1/2 hr in morning and close to 3 hr for return trip (love that NYC traffic). or to head east to Montauk Point, its about

DEEPLOU
March 19th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Lets see:
When home in LI, its 2 1/2 hr to Dutch Springs in the morning, and 3 1/2 for the return trip. To Brooklyn (Sheepshead Bay) its 1 1/2 hr in morning and close to 3 hr for return trip (love that NYC traffic). or to head east to Montauk Point, its about 1 1/2 hr in the wee hours of the morning or 3 hrs with Friday night traffic.

When in Florida (Lake Worth) its just about 2 hrs to Key Largo or Tavernier in morning and abt 2 1/2 for the return trip in the afternoon.

Teamcasa
March 19th, 2008, 11:41 AM
How about 45 minute drive to the marina, 3 hour boat ride to Catalina (aboard a slow boat), 3 dives, 3 hour return to marina and drive 45 mins back home. This is pretty typical for many SoCal boat dives.

chrispete
March 19th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I used to drive about 3 hours each way every Wed & Sat to dive with the Swampers at Twin Lakes in Houston, now I live 20 mins from Lake Travis in Austin :)

nolatom
March 19th, 2008, 11:59 AM
It's 3 hours from New Orleans to Pensacola, which is the closest good diving (except for LA rig dives which take almost as long to get to and aren't that regularly scheduled).

Go to bed early, get up at 2:30, on the road by 3am, breakfast in P'Cola by 6:15, at dive shop to rent tanks by 7, at boat before 7:30, 2 nice dives, then drive back, getting there about 4:30.

When you do one drive at night, the other by day, it doesn't seem quite so tedious.

This isn't a regular routine, but when I need to get wet, it's the closest decent place.

texdiveguy
March 19th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Day trip....5.5 hours one way.

ChainSaw0069
March 19th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I drive 4 hours to Lake Rawlings and 3 Hours to Bainbridge. When Im in Florida on vacation 3 or 4 hours depending on where I am going. If Im in South Florida and the dives are washed out due to weather I will try to go North to the Springs.

Dub5ire
March 19th, 2008, 12:33 PM
2 hrs is fairly average travelling from north NJ down the shore for a charter dive. It's getting up at 4am that kills me, not to mention having to behave myself the night before.

Cyclops_Diver
March 19th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Ya'll are lucky. I'm only three hours from the coast, but because of the altitude where I live I do not make one day trips anymore.

I'm only at 5000 feet, and I thought that it wasn't high enough to make a difference. I was wrong. First couple times I did it I did NOT feel so hot once I got home.

I had to repeat the trip before I realized why...Doh.

alphonsis
March 19th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I do 2hr drives to Monterey, CA regularly. I have friends who come from sacramento and the davis area that do 3hr one day trips regularly as well.

AzAtty
March 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I routinely drove 3-4 hours each way on the same day to ski, and I did the same for diving. But that was when I was younger and poorer.

TheWetRookie
March 19th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Wow, I am spoilt. Closet dive site is about 20 minutes drive, the farthest mainland site is about 40 and a whole bunch of sites in between, like about 9 different dive sites.

If we hop over to some of the islands in my area then it is a ferry ride so the travel time will vary as there is different place we can go.

pawclaws
March 19th, 2008, 01:03 PM
4 1/2 hour drive from Las Vegas to Long Beach then a 1 hr ferry ride to Catalina.

Rinse and repeat.

shoredivr
March 19th, 2008, 02:45 PM
If I get up at 5 am, I can be up in Tobermory for the 9 am boat out to the wrecks....so 3 hrs isn't too far! Then a shore dive or two after lunch, and be back at home by 7-8 pm. Works for me.

mfalco
March 19th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Two hours to Dutch Springs and back is almost routine. Going to try RI this spring. That's about 3 1/2 hrs. Don't yet know if the return trip wil be happening the same day..:D

If you are going to the Jamestown area in RI, I'd say it is worth the drive. It is about 2 hours for me. I often see people from Jersey that drive up there.

Ber Rabbit
March 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM
2-3 hours is pretty typical for me as well for a local dive site. I can have any kind of diving I want with a 12-13 hour drive but I wouldn't do that in a "day".
Ber :lilbunny:

SelkieDVM
March 19th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I've done 4.5 one way to get to the NC coast, but don't like it. Usually I try to stay over the night before with family who are only about 2.5 hours from the coast. My usual quarry (Rawlings) is 2 hours so that's an easy day trip. Heck I have to drive one hour to dive in a pool!

Guba
March 19th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Okay, if we're going to start counting the hours on the boat, I have to submit a revised answer. From my home it's 8 hours to the coast (Gulf of Mexico) and then a 7 hour trip out to the dive site (Flower Gardens NMS). The good news is that the trip usually starts in the evening, so we're on site and ready to dive by 07:00.

watercooled
March 19th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Living in the Great state of Ohio and the part of the State I live in I drive 2 hours one way to dive a COLD DARK quarry with 10 ft viz. A 3 hour drive to some good diving I would be all over it.
i live in marietta, it's 3 hrs to twin and almost 7 to portage. twin is a day trip but portage i generally crash on a buddies boat on erie.

Bob
March 19th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I drive to Jupiter and West Palm (Riviera Beach) dive, and drive home quite often. Both are over a two hour drive from Tampa. :palmtree: Bob

homeof10000lakes
March 19th, 2008, 05:34 PM
As a diver up in Minnesota with our countless lakes, within a hour drive i have
about 40 lakes and a old ore pits with about 7 pits with vis from 1- 50 ft and depths beyond 100'. But the lake visibility many times is less than 15 feet but all are well worth the dives for the short times to get to them. 10-15 minutes

Doc
March 19th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Why be so limiting?

How about 31 hours on planes?

Jafo123
March 19th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Here where I live in N/W Iowa it's a 2.5 hour drive to West Lake Okoboji. I dive there several times a year till the water starts to turn over and get churned up buy the boating traffic. Then I'll drive 4.5 hours to Lake Francis Case in South Dakota pulling the boat. Get at least two good dives in and come home. There is allways time for a little boat trip around the lake too. It makes for a very long day. Now with the way the price of gas is going I don't thing the boat will be making the trip with me much any more.

Buoyant1
March 19th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I'm 20 minutes from Bainbridge, about 1:30 -2:00 from Dutch Springs... (if we could get Dutch Springs' VIZ at Bainbridge, I'd never leave it!)

We drove from Hershey to the Keys last November...although we didn't do it in one day! (and we're going to do it again THIS November!)

Where's KoreanFrogger...he needs to weigh in on this one!

Splitlip
March 19th, 2008, 07:22 PM
2 1/2 hours or so to Key Largo. Closer to 3 pulling a boat.

watercooled
March 19th, 2008, 08:35 PM
the price of gas is going I don't thing the boat will be making the trip with me much any more.

i've actually been thinking about a side car for my motorcycle just to haul my dive gear. i'd combine my two favorite things,, and get 45 miles per gallon!! :D

Barracuda2
March 19th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Not in a car, but I rode a pitching, rolling boat 3.5 hrs out to the U352; dove the sub for 25 min.; then rode a pitching, rolling boat back to Morehead City. This was in the early 80's long before the Navy sealed her up and picked all the ordinance up. Well worth the 7 hrs. of pitching and rolling.:)

TennInstr
March 19th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I have 2 decent quarries within an hour but I have drove a little over 4 hours each way in one day to get in another quarry just for something different. It's not too bad with enough friends along for the ride.

Dive-aholic
March 19th, 2008, 09:56 PM
When I lived in AZ, I drove 3 hours one way every other weekend to dive. I also drove 28 hours one way every 3 months to dive in Florida!

Now I just drive about 20 minutes, and that includes a drive to the sheriff's office to get the gate key.

sea nmf
March 19th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Wow, after reading this, I guess I don't have anything to complain about. Our North Shore shore-diving season is coming up in a couple of months.

I like to go every weekend, but it's a "50 minute" dive. Now, I don't care about the time, but the gas is going to kill me this summer. And I have an Echo - really good on gas.

haynes0
March 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I don't know. count me crazy, I Guess. I have driven 9 hours for a dive. That's a day travel both ways. Being on North Alabama it is a minimum of 6 hours to warm water. So a person does whatever they have to if they love to dive.

Roz Amos
March 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM
5-30 mins to some good local ocean sites- we are really spoilt- takes longer to get the tank filled than to get to the site! Have driven 8 hrs after work to get to a site to do a particular dive, and flown 30+ hrs to get to the Galapagos, and would do it all again- for a great dive there are no limits!

rhadamantus
March 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM
7.5 hours, travel both ways. really crazy, but that is nothing if the diving is splendid. :)

hillbillydiver
March 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Me and a couple of dive buddies will pull a marathon trip about once a year,the toughest one went like this,12:00 am left NC headed to ginnie springs,trip takes 7 hours,arrive at ginnie and dive basically all day,put in one night dive for good measure. Find a place to stay,sleep about 6 hours. Next day headed toward Mayo fl and dive troy springs followed by a dip Suwannee river,about 5 pm head to NC,by the time we hit Atlanta I'm seeing double,time to switch drivers,(whew!!)by now the van smell REALLY BAD,can't sleep,wondering what we were thinking and swear to never do it again,finally arrive home around 2:30 am,chuck dive gear in garage,go in house and my wife tells me how bad I smell,hit the shower and finally crash. Next day call dive buddies and talk about how much fun we had and can't wait to do it again. I swear diving is worse than drugs!!!!

ClayJar
March 21st, 2008, 01:49 AM
Let's see. We're leaving tomorrow night to drive overnight to a spring, dive it all day, then drive into the night back here. Five hours each way, which means it's likely to be 2/3 driving and only 1/3 diving (counting the surface intervals), but it's better than the ditch I dove last weekend. (And yes, that was a literal ditch, but I recovered 12 discs from two holes at one of the local courses. :D)

mello-yellow
March 21st, 2008, 10:23 AM
Returning same day? A little over 2 hours, when diving on Cape Cod. My usual drive is about an hour and 15 minutes.

ACR
March 21st, 2008, 10:28 AM
I'll drive nearly two to get to my favorite dive shop :)

offroaddiver
March 22nd, 2008, 12:39 AM
Getting up in the early am, eat breakfast or get it when on the way. drive atleast 2 hours each way on the road to the closest quarry, or to a clean spot in the lake. set up gear when there, dive one, eat lunch dive two, pack up gear, head home. That's the usual weekend during the summer.

I like to limit my weekend trips to one tank of fuel. This summer once the semester is over, I'm thinking about a roadtrip to ft lauderdale area for a couple of days of diving.

RonFrank
March 22nd, 2008, 12:50 AM
Minimum dive distance for anything local is 1 hour, and most lakes are closer to 2. Most trips I do in CO are one day.

I drive 6 hours one way to go the BH and dive, and I do that at least 6 times a year. Granted, we do it over the weekend, but leaving at noon on friday, and getting back generally around 6pm Sunday is a lot of driving for a a half a dozen dives at a place I've dove a lot! :D

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1