Oceanic Versa/Versa pro OR Suunto Cobra/Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SA Boy

Reaction score
Advice please

I'm thinking of buying my first computer and I like the look of the Oceanic Versa range and and Suunto's Cobra and Vyper models.

Having followed the threads here it seems that wrist mounted is the way to go for ease of use when ascending although I like the air integration of the Cobra (when its in a console) for comparatively little money (Compared to those computers that use transmitters).

However have heard reports that the Oceanic Algorithm is not particulalrly conservative. Is this that important given the type of diving I want to do? (see below)

So
Suunto or Oceanic? and Which Model?
Wrist or Console?

I have a budget of up to £300 for the computer although the less I spend the better as I need to buy some other kit.
I'm not ever going to do Tech diving.
It's unlikely I'll ever go deeper than 45-50m.
It's unlikely I'll ever do winter diving.

Thanks for the advice

You can always dive a liberal computer to less than its limits by using the color coded bar graph. A conservative computer forces you to do things its way. Tens of thousands of Oceanic and similar computers are in use, yet cases of bent divers are relatively rare, just under 1 in 10,000 dives.

There was a thread on this in the Dr. Deco forum a while back, I think it was called "NDL Times".

I have the Cobra console right now. It is a wonderful computer and has everything that you need right in one place.

The console is OK but you have to watch after it closely so you don't scratch it up by laying your gear on top of it, etc. Also its hard to hold the console and watch your ascent while controlling the inflater hose too, plus lights, etc.

That said, I have been thinking very seriously about changing to a wrist model of some sort. I do like Suunto's products and in particular the Vytec. Although the Vyper is a very nice looking computer as well. The Vytec has more gas options and decompression features for the (possible) future dives that would be nice.

SA Boy, I've been researching a computer upgrade for myself and seem to have read all I can find on the various models available. I'm using a older Oceanic Prodigy at the moment. The Suunto and the Oceanic algorithums are indeed different. Initially I was concerned about the liberal Oceanic program but after comparing the BT's of the Navy and Padi tables to the Oceanics I found little to worry about. Oceanics BT's are almost always 10% less than the table value. Like Leadweight said, by using the bar graph you can increase the safety factor. For example, treating the yellow zone as the red zone and always begining your ascent one segment before you reach the yellow zone. That is my rule. I'm going for the Oceanic Versa Pro. My Prodigy will mesh well as a back-up computer .

Good luck.

I have just recently upgraded from the Suunto Favor to the Vyper in order to take advantage of Nitrox, PC downloading and a backlight.

I'll let you know it goes.

Both lines of computers are very nice... The Oceanic Versa series, the Versa, Versa Pro, and VT Pro are very nice and a little newer than the SUUNTO line... Also, the versa line have much better graphical display and larger digits. Much more user changeable functions on the versa series. Larger dive memory also...

Whoops, there i go again... Im pushing the Oceanic computers again... Even though I own a Cobra and a Stinger.... If I had to buy them again, (by the way, the Versa series werent out yet when I bought both of my computers) I would definetly buy a Versa Pro... Nitrox compatible, PC downloading, Audible alarms, LED alarm (way cool by the way)... GO OCEANIC!!!:wink:

Oceanic ,they also stand behind their product to the point I've seen a 2 yr old comp. replaced when it freaked.They'll probly be even more reliable now that Suunto is making them.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom