Best Key Largo Dive ops for 1st timers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedWingDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all!

Yeah, yeah, I know...another "What's the best (fill in the blank) in the Keys?" But I think this is a different enough spin, and I can't seem to put in a good enough search query to find an answer. Besides, I don't post enough anymore, and this is a good excuse to get myself out there!:wink:

Here's my situation: I'm trying to organize a trip with some friends of our family. I'm the only certified diver in our bunch, and a few of the friends are considering trying diving if/when we go. They want to do something more than just snorkeling, so they are interested in a little "resort course."

My question can be boiled down to asking which of the Key Largo area operators would be able to best handle something like that while still being able to provide a good experience for a certified person like myself? I've noticed that Rainbow Reef has a newbie course, and I think I'd have a good time accompanying them as well on a dive.

Now mind you, I'm not asking for a lot on my part. I'm just happy getting under the surface, especially in the Keys. And I think I'd have a lot of fun just seeing how my friends take to diving. I'm not looking for a way to teach a newbie and simultaneously dive the Spiegel Grove!:D

But I ask because it seems like I'd have to be a little more careful in selecting an op. Someone like Quiescence is probably not the way to go with such a situation.

Please feel free to ask a few questions if I need to clarify what I'm looking for. Thanks for reading!

I only use 2 shops when in the Key Largo and they are. Island Ventures,Quiescence.
They are the only one's down there to use. Island Ventures is great they will take good care of you.:D

Not sure about rates for the resort course, but i was OW certified by - and recommend -

Brent at Blue Water Divers.

They have pool access right next to the boat.
Brent was a great instructor and an over all nice guy.

I went with Conch Republic and Silent World when I was down there a few weeks ago, and my buddy is fairly new to diving, although she is certified. She seemed to prefer the service at Conch Republic, both in the shop and on the boat because they were very helpful for an uncomfortable/new diver.

I really liked the people at Conch Republic, plus the SB discount made things even better. The boat is a bit on the larger side, which is my biggest complaint. The boat crew was helpful, but, at least the day we dove with them, you had to get their attention, but that might have been due to the large group of OW students onboard.

Silent World was pretty good to dive with. The office staff wasn't overly friendly or helpful, but on the boat the crew was very good, always noticed problems or people in need of help before you asked or before anything really became an issue. They have a smaller boat, which only had 7 people the day we went, but holds 12 or 14, so it would be very cramped if it were full.

As someone who was new to the Keys, but has some experience in tropical diving I still found plenty of life on the shallower reefs that we dove. The crew was still helpful, but Silent World seemed to be on a tighter schedule than Conch Republic, and we ended both of our dives early because of time reasons, where the Conch Republic dives ended due to air.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Conch Republic, and would book again with Silent World, but I'd be more willing to try a new operator, especially a six-pack, first.

Hope that helps.

-Geoff

I've dove on Silent World and Ocean Divers.

Ocean Divers just recently done well with me (and in the past) and my one experince to the SG on Silent World was ok, but the boat was a bit cramped. Boat Crews on both were very nice and I only dealt with the Store Crews at Ocean Divers, which were very nice.

I've been to the Conch Rep. Dive shop and was treated well, I haven't been out on their boat(s).

The answer you are looking for is...... most all dive shops here have courses and most all resorts have them also.
If you have a good dive op call them and hook up your friends. Most will not have a problem with you going along.

Hey all!

Thanks for the feedback thus far. I think I may need to clarify a little bit though.

I personally have dove Key Largo before last year and went with Silent World. I had a great time, and on that trip my buddy and I brought his wife, who was not a diver, but just snorkelled while we dove.

What I'm looking for this time is if I were to bring a couple of friends who were looking to try scuba for the first time, which would be the best op to go with? As much as I enjoyed Silent World, it seems like it's not the best one to have someone learn.

Mynamehere-I forgot about Brent. Heard a lot of good things about him here! I'll have to research them a bit more.

Becky-I didn't see your post before I did mine! That's good to know. That makes it sound like I just need to do similar research as when I first came down! (IE: get off my lazy behind and make some calls! :D)

Last year went down for referral dives at ITS A DIVE which operates out of the Marriott Key Largo Bay. Boat was full of the same mix of people that it sounds like you'll have on the trip. They offer packages which include diving and rooms. Ryan runs the shop, give him a call and let him know your situation. Confident he can help you out. Check them out. Good Luck Florida Keys Scuba Diving with It’s A Dive; Florida Keys scuba diving reefs from Key Largo's Pennekamp Park to Islamorada’s Alligator Light.

The OW students on our Conch Republic boat seemed to be treated very well and had an intelligent sounding instructor from the shop. He did a good job of explaining what was going on, coached the divers well (on the surface and underwater) and also acted as a very good tour guide. I followed the group around for a bit and he did a nice job of pointing everything out and giving everyone a chance to look at what it was he found.

However, I wasn't in the class, and only noticed everything from a distance. Just my observations.

-Geoff

Last year went down for referral dives at ITS A DIVE which operates out of the Marriott Key Largo Bay. Boat was full of the same mix of people that it sounds like you'll have on the trip. They offer packages which include diving and rooms. Ryan runs the shop, give him a call and let him know your situation. Confident he can help you out. Check them out. Good Luck Florida Keys Scuba Diving with It’s A Dive; Florida Keys scuba diving reefs from Key Largo's Pennekamp Park to Islamorada’s Alligator Light.

Hook up with Brent at BlueWater 305 453-9600 For a more personal experience he is your person. He is the most cool headed person I know. Very alert and knows the waters here like the back of his hand.

Robert Harman :14: I have know Robert and his wife Susan for many years and would put my life in their hands anyday. But you should know that they are in the medical field and his wife works at Mariners here in the Key's GREAT PEOPLE. They are PADI 1-800-809-9881 It's A Dive in Key Largo.

Conch Republic is really good they have great people also and Gary won't ahve a problem with you going out on the boat with them to dive. 305 852-1655

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom