Ikelite Housing & JVC MG-255 Camcorder Package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JADE41796

New
Reaction score
Hey Guys

IKELITE HOUSING & JVC MG 255 CAMCORDER PACKAGE

I Am New To This But I Was Wanting To Get Started With Uw Video Camcorder. This Package Seems Affordable To Me And Wanted An Honest Opinion Of It. Including:

1. Ease Of Use.

2. Quality

3. Housing (leak Potential)

4. Ease Of Making A Dvd Dive Video Or Cd

5. Anything Else You May Think Of. (my Budget Is Around 1000-2000 Dollars)
I Dont Have Several Thousand For A High Priced System.

Thanks

How about:

Canon HV20-Ikelite: $1,800
Canon HV20-Equinox: $1,650
Sony HC5-Equinox: $1,460
Sony HC-5-Ikelite:$1,760

Or wait for the new memory stick cams to come out.

Thanks But What About The Quality Of These And The One I Listed And Ease Of Use. Can You Put Right On Your Computer And Make A Dvd Pretty Easily?

Thanks Larry

2 biggest differences is the JVC is a hard drive based standard definition and the Canon-Sony are tape based high defnition.

You can easily make a DVD with either. Tape based will involve a capturing process to convert the footage to computer files. 10 minutes of footage will take 10 minutes to capture. If you plan on editing your footage, the extra time to capture doesn't really matter. If you want to put your footage straight to DVD, no editing, the JVC will be easier.

If you haven't done so already, try to see some full resolution footage from a HD camcorder on a big screen HDTV. I think once you do, you won't be considering the JVC.

These are proven systems (best in class at price range)....there are no questions about it (dpreview.com camerainfo.com cnet.com etc) ....I will just submit to also consider the Sony HC3 because of the low light sensitive...Although I have the HV20 and it is impressive undeer low light. Check the video workflow.....no no Edited DVDs (HD) with just a Housing and camcorder.

This is a little bit explanatory....
Filmmaking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where to buy....
Canon HV20/HV30 6ave.com ~600
Ikelite Adorama.com ~900
(this housing now supports HV30)

as far as your question about the Ikelite housing.... they are really durable and don't leak. The latch on them is the most secure I have seen on ANY housing. (I did test out every make at a dive show a few years ago before buying). It is a clear housing also so you will know immediately if any water has gotten in. I have never heard of a report of an Ikelite housing leaking. I have head lots of stories from people of other housing leaking. Just my 2 cents on that.

Now, as far as which camcorder... get what you can afford.

Making videos - there are lots of software programs out there. Make sure your computer and run them as they take lots of memory. If you have a Mac, they have their own video program which is amazing. If you don't, check out Pinnacle Studio (I have it and it is really easy to learn and use).

robin:D

HOW ABOUT THIS ONE AS WELL

Bonica Snapper HDDV 5.0 Megapixel Digital Video Camera with Underwater Housing

HOW ABOUT THIS ONE AS WELL

Bonica Snapper HDDV 5.0 Megapixel Digital Video Camera with Underwater Housing

well I googled this one since you didn't provide a link....
I wouldn't buy it but it is up to you how much you want to spend. Two things - housings that fit that close to an electronic device produce heat which then produces condensation, meaning it could and will fog your lens inside the housing once it is running for awhile. I don't know how long it will take but I have seen this happen with other diver's cameras (particularly Canon with Canon housings). Another thing is you must buy the red filter if you are shooting underwater. Lastly - I don't know what the quality of the lens is but I wouldn't guess for that price it is very good, Bonica isn't know for high quality anything.
Just my 2 cents.

Original budget was listed as $1000-$2000. The Bonica HDDV camcorder with housing costs $800.

In general you get what you pay for. There are exceptions, but this isn't one of them. Not saying it won't take decent video, but I feel comfortable saying it won't compare to a Sony or Canon HDV cam combined with a Ikelite housing.

I wonder if people search the internet for actual video footage shot with different camcorders/housings, lights, etc. they are considering. I know I would if I was in the market to buy.

A search on Yahoo brought me to this clip. Canon HV20 with Ikelite housing. www.hdvundersea.com - Manta Ray Night Dive Hawaii

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom