Difference between the Mosquito and the Stinger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the essential differences between the Suunto Mosquito and the Stinger besides $200.00 more for the Stinger. They both seem to do the same things but I must be missing something. Thanks.

This may or may not make any difference depending on what, if any other suunto models you have but the mosquito uses the same interface as the cobra,vyper,vytec, and d3. The stinger and spyder models use the cradle style interface. If you already have a cobra and don't want to buy two interfaces, you might wanna go with a mosquito for this reason in addition to the obvious cost difference. If you make an interface from the widely available plans on ther internet, be sure to use spring-loaded contacts and you should be able to use the interface with both the cobra/mosquito style and the stinger/spyder style contacts.

Mosquito has a user-replaceable battery. Stinger has to be replaced by an authorised Suunto repairshop.

One other difference. The mosquito has a sampling rate fixed at 20 seconds (2 for free diving)

the stinger is user programmable in increments from 2 to 20 seconds.

I just can NOT believe that No One has mentioned the most important difference between the STINGER and the MOSQUITO: the stinger just looks cool, the mosquito looks like a toy...

lol...

No, but seriously... The stinger does come with a stainless metal band or the rubber band... The metal band does look mighty fine...I love my stinger...

Back
Top Bottom