Ft Lauderdale area, suggestions for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

violakat03

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We're looking for a nice relaxing boat dive for BRAND NEW DIVERS. We will get our certification the day before we do this. We want to do a shore dive and a boat dive, I've already picked out Lauderdale by the Sea as our shore dive spot. We really want to dive a wreck but most of them are too deep for us to be comfortable going to, being so brand new at diving.

Any suggestions of which tour boats to use that maybe don't have something specific planned for Sunday the 30th of March? Or that can change their schedule to accommodate new divers? One of the wrecks that really interested me is the Copenhagen, as it's not really deep and it's a true wreck rather than one sunk as a reef. Any other wrecks that are recommended and boats that go to them?

On Saturday the 29th, Parrot Island Scuba has dives perfect for you in the morning and afternoon. In the morning, they are visiting the Copenhagen (20-30') site and in the afternoon, they are visiting the Sea Emperor (or Empress) (60').

If Sunday morning has to be the time, South Florida Diving has an appropriate morning trip for you. Get there early though because parking can be annoying if you choose this one.

It has to be Sunday, because Saturday morning we're getting our certs and Saturday afternoon we're diving at Disney in the Living Seas. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll toss them over to the others that will be with me and see what they think.

Bump! Any more recommendations?

My daughter (14 at that time) and I dove with South Florida Diving HQ in early June last summer for our 11-14th dives and had a good time. I would second the recommendation. We went on the Coral Princess (I think--it was the pink catamaran boat) to the nursery and Copenhagan. Big boat but over half were snorklers so didn't feel crowded underwater even though they were shallow dives at about 25' deep.

Before those dives we went on a 6-pack in the keys--we were kind of experimenting with the different sizes of boats to see which we liked. So far, I don't have a real strong preference on boat size -- I see advantages to both. I like the no crowd factor of the small boats. I also enjoy the stability of the larger boat when there are waves--Daughter blew chunks through her regulator on her first dive as a certified diver. 40 minutes into our very first dive in the keys the surge got to her! Makes for a good story though. We were there a couple of days following tropical storm Barry; she got a bit overheated before the dive as we looked for some deccent vis--the surge when we got into shallow water didn't help her any.:rofl3:

I'm not sure what depth your comfort level is but American Dream is doing a 70' wreck and 30' reef on Sunday morning. They are an excellent operation that you should be very comfortable with.

ScubaFortLauderdale.com - Home of the American Dream II

I'm not sure what depth your comfort level is but American Dream is doing a 70' wreck and 30' reef on Sunday morning. They are an excellent operation that you should be very comfortable with.

ScubaFortLauderdale.com - Home of the American Dream II

+1. Capt. Todd and his crew are GREAT. I took my parents/little brother/girlfriends little brother who were all very new to diving at the time on the AD 2 with me, and they did great, and were very comfortable. In fact, my girlfriend's little brother was fresh out of his OW dives.

Danny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom