I want to start hunting!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I want to start hunting this summer and will probably start with a simple spear with band attached to it and move up to spear fishing later. Any tips or pointers?

I started with a small spear gun and still have it plus one bigger. A pole spear you would learn stealth. Good hunting.

I decide to start hunting this summer as well however I decided to start with a 48" biller.

I would recommend finding a group of people who already spear in the areas you are planning on using and copying their gear and styles, experienced locals are always the best source of information. I can tell you what works for me here in the Northern GUlf of Mexico but it is less likely to apply in the different conditions you will be in on the West Coast, and for the different fish you will be targeting.

I might also add you don't want to debate lobster regs on an internet forum.

Hi, I want to start hunting this summer and will probably start with a simple spear with band attached to it and move up to spear fishing later. Any tips or pointers?

I think that you are doing absolutley the right thing. A pole spear will teach you how to approach fish and give you a strong foundation to build on when you move on to a gun. The guy that taught me how to hunt insisted that I use only a pole spear for one year. I learned alot, and even got some pretty nice fish towards the end of the year, including a 12lb. Black Grouper.

I started with a $30 pole spear about 6 foot with paralyzer tip until I lost a big ling cod. It is best to get a buddy that also spear fishes. You don't have to be too stealthy for rock fish, Cabezone, and Ling Cod. There should be a local dive club with expertise to help you out. Sign up on SpearBoard. There are people on SpearBoard that live in your area and hunt in the same ocean.

Patty,your advice is excellent.
Learn from the "guys who know". You will be safer, learning curve shorter and you new sport will be substantially less expensive.
I would add no more.

Same advice as pat.... also wouldn't hurt to get to a seminar...learn about all the types of poles and guns out there.. as well as bands vs cable... and diffent tips... free shaft vs line. learn proper spear placement to "stone your fish" enablaing you to kill more fish faster. as well as good hunting techniqes. The Guys at Ocean Rhino do an excellent seminar... and have some good gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom